If you had to buy only Mavic wheels...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

js

by js

ichobi wrote:I would get a Cosmic SLE. Solid break, aero, all terrain.

On a side note, how is Mavic hub? Compared to say Dura-ace, Easton or other brands? I read some old forum topic that has nothing positive to say about Mavic's hub quality in general. Looking to buy the SLE, though not sure yet.

Yeah - I guess this is the stuff that bugs me. Apologies for picking out this response in particular ichobi (as there are obviously plenty of very similar posts in this thread alone), but are the opinions you've offered backed up by anything, other then perhaps an experience of "I've been happy with this wheel, though it's perhaps one of only two or three high-end wheel I've ridden".

Solid braking - yes, it's not carbon so that's a bonus (but one taken against rotating weight of an all carbon rim I suppose)

Aero - no. Unless you were referring to using this wheel with a 20mm tire, please don't assume that depth = aero. It doesn't.

All-terrain - why? technically you could use any wheel anywhere, but that doesn't mean that it's suited for it. Using a Cosmic in the mountains surely isn't ideal versus a lighter-rimmed wheel that would brake and turn much more easily. This seems like saying a touring bike is all-terrain.

Okay, sorry for the rant, but I hope at least some of you can appreciate where I'm coming from.

As for the hubs, Mavic made the switch ages ago to a free-hub bushing instead of a bearing - a move that saved 15g of non-rotational weight. The experience seems to be that if the wheel is ridden in a wet climate (UK in my experience), it holds up reasonably well without requiring excessive service. If it's ridden in a dry climate (South of France or Canadian Prairies in my experiences), then it will howl like a banshee within the first season if you aren't regularly taking it apart to grease the freehub. That said, this isn't a tough job, so it needn't be a deal-breaker.

In comparison to the hubs you've mentioned, Easton certainly had some reliability issues with their hubs in previous seasons, but I don't think there is a mechanic or knowledgeable rider out there who wouldn't take a DA hub over a Mavic. Dura-ace have proven to run smoother for longer - with very, very few exceptions, they are a great example of 'bombproof' parts.

The only downside for DA hubs is a slight weight increase versus the Mavic or Zipp hubs, but when you look at this in terms of complete wheel builds (which I'm assuming you are, if comparing against Mavic), it's almost a bonus. Mavic and Zipp have shed significant amounts of weight from their hubs in past, which means that for any given comparison of similarly weighted wheelsets (eg. Ksyrium vs C24 or Cosmic vs C50), the DA should always have a lighter rim and less rotational weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Appreciate your comment js, perhaps i should have written a bit longer. Your OP asks if you can pick one set of Mavic, what would you choose? while i didnt particularly address your specifics, I share my experience with mavic wheels instead. So for me I choose SLE, while i have not owned them I borrowed from my friend for a week worth of solid riding. The brake is awesome even in the wet. All terrain - because I don't live in big hills area, They are good enough for light climbing and stable on decent, plus no worries about carbon melting, and seem rather solid being aluminum. The weight is On the heavy side but not something I'd worry. Aero, may be not so much. As you said the Cosmics are as traditional aero faring as they get, probably not very good in wind tunnels but for flat section which where most of my rides are located, they should be suffice and I don't race. Lastly they look great with black break track. These are all personal reasons. I simply think they are versatile and not that expensive on discount and I only want ONE set of wheels to use everywhere without much petting. Other Mavics may be better but I don't have the privilege nor means to try them. Other carbon fairing alu wheels may be better like the the c50s, Campy bullets and Fulcrum equivalent, but they all have silver break track - a nono for me. Sounds silly to compromise performance over aesthetic reason, but I can live with that.

Only thing I am not sure and why I havent purchased them is the hub because while i have ridden them for a while, I have no other options to compare with, but your response already addresses that so thanks for the insight.
Last edited by ichobi on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDP

by SDP

i have cosmic carbone sl
kysrium sl's
open pro ceramic/tune/cx ray
open pro ceramic/hope 3's/cx

they are fine wheels.

no issues
all run with conti tyres & tubes..

you can run 25s on cc's no prob but attack/force with supersonic tubes are my fave combo.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

sawyer

by sawyer

Mavic and Zipp hubs are night and day in smoothness IME. Zipp are a bit more fiddly but are smoother than pretty much any other stock hub.

I'd rate the Ksyrium SLs as the worst value wheel on the market.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Is there much aero data kicking around showing the Cosmic vs either the Ksyrium or the Aksium?

mjduct

by mjduct

I'd walk...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

And with that insightful post, could we try and add something of value please guys.

js

by js

The Cosmic Ultimate is on here (paired with a 21mm tire), but I don't see a Cosmic clincher.

You could possibly make some comparison of a Cosmic Carbon clincher versus a Lightweight Standard from the chart on the previous page, but it's worth noting that the Lightweight wheel that performed well on the Roue Artisan test was a tub, with 21mm tires mounted, while the one that performed less well (relatively at least) in the test on the previous page was a clincher with 23mm tires.

It's been a while since I had the two wheels in front of me at the same time, but I'd think that some comparative idea could be gained from these. Especially if you were planning to run 21mm tires on your Cosmics.

As for the Ksyriums - you'll find them on the far right. The Aksiums are a bit better because of the narrower spokes.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The best part of that chart is the tiny difference between the Mavic Carbones and the Shimano 7850 C24.....

ticou

by ticou

Tinea Pedis wrote:Is there much aero data kicking around showing the Cosmic vs either the Ksyrium or the Aksium?

I have both. The aksiums, being 6 years old, run a little smoother, but the weight penalty is their downfall; mind you, they've done a few cols in their time.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

btompkins0112 wrote:The best part of that chart is the tiny difference between the Mavic Carbones and the Shimano 7850 C24.....

That's the tubular carbon 24mm rim, NOT the alu/carbon rim everyone seems to think it is.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Still a 24mm rim half the depth of the carbone.....