HELP - FSA K Force light chainset stuck in Shimano BB71

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chris217

by chris217

i have made a small error and was unaware that the spindle of the FSA K-Force Light are larger in diameter thus will not fit into a BB71 pressfit adapter that is designed for Shimano Hollowtech II spindles."

Previously had a shimano 105 chainset fitted

need some advice, i think i too have learned the hard way as i have a FSA K Force light crank stuck in a shimano hollowtwch / 105 BB71 press fit bottom bracket !!

i was not a difficult job to get it in so dont imagine the difference in diameter is huge but neverthe less i am in a bit of a fix

i wondered if anyone has suffered the same issue and how you extracted the crank ....woould appreciate any advice cheers
Ride more, eat less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Find yourself a nice rubber mallet and coax it back out. Be carefull not to smack it too hard though if your frame is carbon. It can be pretty tough on the frames BB shell.

chris217

by chris217

cheers thats what i need
Ride more, eat less.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I find FSA bb's wear out too fast. So I used shimano BB's with my FSA cranks. It's always a bitch getting them in and out.

ms6073

by ms6073

My experince is that the spindle diameter for the FSA K-Force Light and SLK Light is too large to use with Shimano spec'd bottom brackets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

boolinwall

by boolinwall

This is true. It's why you need a hammer to remove them.lol

DartanianX

by DartanianX

They fit and work fine. As long as you don't need to take your cranks on and off often. +1 on the rubber mallet.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

A sand filled (dead blow) rubber mallet works even better

chris217

by chris217

thanks guys, you are right , rubber mallett was the key ! its out and just ordered an FSA BB86 which was reccomended by FSA and my local Giant dealer to be fair ...

i am sure it would have worked fine, once it was in it seemed tight but smooth, but concerned as just after fitting it FSA replied saying i shoiuld get a BB86 BB.

There is a section at each end of the spindle on the K-force crank which is enlarged and 'fatter' than the Shimano 105 chainset it replaced. Probably only 1/2 mm increase in thickness but enough to keep it pretty fixed in place requiring a serious 'whack / s' to get it out....

i am sticking with the correct BB in future

cheers all
Ride more, eat less.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Given the choice, the dead blow hammer is the better choice. Glad to hear you got it out successfully.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com