Is this the end of the front derailleur?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikedoc

by bikedoc

people survived with one gear so no one really needs more than that. Like more yes but do you need more?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totoboa

by totoboa

ghisallo2003 wrote:No this is not the end of the front derailleur?

Or, no we do not change gear to allow a change in cadence?

I was responding in as few words as possible directly to the subject of the post. :D

I think one of the glyphs from the Mayan calendar was misinterpreted, and it was meant to show a single chainring. Instead, the Edumacated ones translated it to mean the earth's magnetic field. :beerchug:

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Thanks Toto,
I thought that was probably it. I was getting worried that I had been doing it wrong in using my gears to modify my cadence for the last 20 years. I might as well join the Mayans if that were the case.

RussellS

by RussellS

mjduct wrote:I think 90% of people could do without a front derailleur right now.

Agree 100%. I happily ride with my 42 inner chainring and 12-23 or 13-23 cassette. 30 mph is easy with the high gear and I haven't met any hills I coud not climb with the low gears. I also have a couple single speeds that get me up the hills and into the headwinds just fine. Rode the single speed 140 miles in a day out to the start of RAGBRAI. Then the next seven days across Iowa. Few hills on that route. One gear worked fine.

tommasini

by tommasini

ProudDaddy wrote:
mjduct wrote:I think 90% of people could do without a front derailleur right now.

Really? Even with my 53/39 front and 26/11 cassette I frequently do not have enough range on either end during the same ride. Especially this time of year, doing base and trying to stay in a steady zone 2 my cadence will drop to the 50s in my 39/26 while climbing a big hill when I'd prefer it near 80. Then bombing down in my 53/11 I'm spinning over 110. I know not everyone lives in hilly terrain but lots of people go out of their way to ride hills. Even riding in Florida where it was dead flat I had the pleasure of riding 30+ miles into a 30 mph head wind and then made the return with the tail wind. So even used the extreme ends of my 20 speed gearing there. Related to Ghisallo's post, I find my heart rate to have some correlation with cadence even while maintaining a steady power, so I watch my cadence during base.

On the road I guess I'm in the 10%............and my guess so will be about 3/4 of serious roadies such as ProudDaddy (most of whom appreciate a closely spaced rear cassette / who challenge themselves via varieties of terrain and distance) will also be in that 10% :roll:

Yes it could make sense for cross which has a limited speed profile.....but gosh don't suggest on the road unless you commute / tool around on only on flatish roads.
Last edited by tommasini on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

by Arky

I don't get this. Why not go back to 2X6 if this is acceptable?

r_mutt

by r_mutt

if you live somewhere absolutely flat. that's not going to work if you have to do some climbing.

Raxel

by Raxel

I just checked how much grams the 1X11 drivetrain saves:

X-horizon RD: 220 grams
10-42 cassette: 260 grams
Single crank: 650grams (BB30)
Total 1130 grams

Compare them to these:
Red RD: 145 grams
Red FD: 70 grams
11-26 Red cassette: 147g
XX Double crank: 694 grams (BB30)
Front shifter, wires: ~100grams
Total 1156 grams

So XX1 saves only 26 grams over XX-red hybrid drivetrain, and I don't think it's worth anything.

Franklin

by Franklin

SWijland wrote:Check this out:http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/bikes-and-tech/spotted-prototype-sram-cyclocross-single-chainring_269580.

Single chainring up front on a CX bike, without anything to keep the chain in place. Is this a sign of things to come and will we be seeing the SRAM 1x11 setup on a road bike soon?

AFAIK this is old hat. Single chainring up front has been here for years. So no, I doubt this will change a thing.