Replacing KT hubs for DT 240 on Reynolds wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Anders

by Anders

My question is if the hubdimensions are about the same so that I can reuse the spokes if I replace the stock KT hubs on a set of Reynolds Assault with some DT Swiss 240.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Why would you want to?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Hub dimensions aren't going to have as much of an effect on spoke length as ERD, so you could probably reuse your setup. However, if your rebuilding the wheels, why not do it right and get new spokes?

Anders

by Anders

I have a spare 240 hub set and if I come across a good deal on a new pair of Assault I would change the hubs, as I don't want to pay the premium price of the 46 model.

What is actually the idea behind replacing the spokes if there is nothing wrong with them?

swimmingskibble

by swimmingskibble

No, they will not work. The two hubs have different flange diameters and flange to center distances.

eurperg

by eurperg

The KT hubs are very good, I don't think there's a reason to change them...

Both DT and KT hubs are just lathe aluminum shells with standard industrial bearings, the biggest difference in in the image.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

I don't think the KT's are that good at all, sure reasonably light and cheap, the the freewheel is pretty soft

Have 2 sets of wheels with them and see no reason to change them but I would never start with them, as there are better options

eurperg

by eurperg

Freewheel soft? You mean the freehub body?

DT240s freehub body is so soft, it's hard to take the cassette off...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Just go with the KT hubs, sell off the DT hubs and save yourself one hell of a lot of money. If you want to upgrade your wheels, just fit some high quality bearings. Or go with TUNE hubs instead.

Anders

by Anders

I want to get as much value as possible for the lowest price. I bought the DT hubs for 100€ and if the Assaults were just a pop-in solution that would have been great. my second option is to buy some Gigantex or Farsport rims and spokes when a good deal pops up. I have been running the same 240 hub on my mountainbike for 7 years without any issues, so it was a no brainer to buy them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Yes eurperg, freehub, :)

Anders: Pretty much universal, Leave the KT's, they have been on my trainers for 5 + years plus the odd crit and I am a heavyweight (85) sprinter Also on my race wheels (Assult T's) The other wheels are a different hub, and better (Handbuilt Record + Reflex) but different type of thing
The DT's are a good deal at that price and if you don't find some rims you know you can sell them and not lose anything.