29" HT frame weights

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

According to this: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/16/201 ... l-weights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The S-Works Stumpjumper (2013) frame weighs 1180 grams. Can anyone confirm this? It sounds like a lot to me. The Canyon CF SLX 29er is said to be 1080 grams (don't know what size, medium probably). I further assume that if I got the Stumpjumper Marathon, the frame would weigh more than the S-Works frame (because of the change in the FACT carbon rating)?

Does anyone have other suggestions for race-ready bikes in the price range of the Stumpjumper Marathon? If I were to get the CF SLX, I would get the 8.9 and get a nice wheelset.

Cannondale F29? I'm thinking maybe a redesign is due next year (2014?), since neither the Stumpjumper nor the F29 has internal cable routing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Why do you want internal routing? Niner tried it and made a mess of things.
The lightest/best racing hardtails are the Flash, the Scott and the new Trek. The Flash and Scott are proven winners, the Trek... we'll have to wait and see. There's also the Open frame, Orbea, Niner RDO and the Highball. Cannondale and Trek have a lifetime warranty and Scott is 5 years. I'd buy the Scott or Flash.

edit: Add Rocky Mountain to that add list too but I'd still buy the Flash or Scott.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The only problem with the Flash is the price. For the price of a Stumpjumper Marathon (which has carbon wheels), I can get a F29 Carbon 2, which has Crest wheels, aluminium Lefty and not the prettiest colorway.

limba

by limba

Maybe you can get a deal on a better looking 2012? :noidea:

Yeah, I'd take a 2013 Spec over the Flash in your price range.

socratease

by socratease

I think there's a 150 gram weight difference between the two. I think my stumpjumpers were like ~ 1250 for the expert frame and ~1100 for the sworks.

It seems like most of the carbon frames coming out have been in the ~1100 gram range (niner, SC, spesh, giant, most of what I see on the internet,) while there are a couple of outliers like scott, Rocky Mountain, and the new Treks. I think the new trek hardtails start at around 6 grand, though, and they probably crack just like the old ones. There is a subtle ride quality difference between the sworks and the lower tier frame.

I'd recommend going with a Giant if you're concerned with bang/buck.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Why do you think Niner botched internal cable routing? I have an Air9 C but I ride it singlespeed. Just curious. By the way my medium frame weighted 1190 so that weight sounds correct. Internal routing makes lots of sense to me as far as keeping cables clean and dirt free.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Flash in medium I weighed was under 1kilo. Open frame was way under. I had a pic somewhere, I believe the weight started with an "8". warranty is 2years, but is extended with registration. Open's internal routing is pretty good, although it's a bit tight up front.

Kegelhoff

by Kegelhoff

My friend just built up a super light Bailey 29er hardtail last week and it is super light and really nice. If I recall it has internal cable routing? Not sure but I'm guessing all the info is on his website. Pretty sure the frame weight was at or below 1000 grams. His completed single speed, rigid fork bike weighs only 17.1 lbs. I might add that they are a lot less $$$ and have a no questions asked 2 year warrenty.

http://www.bailey-bikes.com/c29er.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

limba

by limba

yourdaguy wrote:Why do you think Niner botched internal cable routing? I have an Air9 C but I ride it singlespeed.

Try gearing it up and tell us how it goes. :mrgreen:

BMC also have a carbon 29" HT but it will probably explode after a few rides.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I am pretty much a total SSer and I have 2 geared bikes I hardly ride. It looks easy to gear up in the video. Also, while my frame was close to 1200 the Niner RDO frame is supposed to be over 200 grams lighter so less than 1000. I have seen that Scott frame though and it looks real nice.

limba

by limba

The RDO is not under 1000g even for the smallest size. They're more like 1150. I bet they have a new frame coming because the online dealers are blowing the old stuff out. You can get a RDO frame for $1200 now.
If you do a search you'll see plenty of people complaining about the internal routing. That's partly why the RDO exists, because the original was terrible if you ran it geared. Even the new RDO is a pain to install initially. Also it's harder to turn the bars because of the cables going into the headbadge.
Also Niner says you can't run an XTR 2x10 crank on their frame. WTF? You have to use XT 2X10 or Triples.
and now they're saying you can't run a smaller than 32 XX1 chainring on the frame. I don't care about that but someone will.

Here's a guy (not me) comparing the two Niner frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BVEK3_IHg

aspms

by aspms

Actual Niner RDO weight (M size):

This one probably came out with thicker paint layer :D

quality carbon repairs and paintjobs @bikebay.lv
https://www.instagram.com/bikebay.lv/

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Great video. Me and that guy think a lot alike including loving the One9 Scandium bike. I apparently have the newest version of the frame since it doesn't even say Air9 Carbon but Air9 CVA and has the new headbadge that allows running casing all the way back. I will probably always have mine set up SS anyway.

Keevy

by Keevy

Merida Big Nine Team carbon great frame

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I think the Niner is difficult to get hold of here anyway.

I'd really like the Cannondale F29 Carbon 1, but I don't think I can afford that. So I'm leaning towards the Canyon GC 29 CF SLX 8.9, and then planning on getting a nice wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com