airless tyre

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

wonder if it will weigh less than rocket ron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SWIsY8rzQ

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

I'd be worried about the weight when it goes through mud. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slyboots

by slyboots

Not too many shots of the tyre working, but from what I could see it looks rather stiff, which essentially means useless.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

:thumbup: I noticed that too... but the comments below the video mentions that that can be customized.

02GF74

by 02GF74

re: stiffness, I thought that too then I thought about it and reckon an air filled tyre would look like that too ... perhaps. :noidea:

tuning is probably done by drilling holes in the side walls!!

and as for filling with mud, dust, stones etc, I an sure thin flexible sidewalls to cover the holes would sort that out.

I wonder if there is a problem with the metarial tiring so over time they get softer until they collapse ..... but if it can be made to work, it would be really super - no more punctures = not carrying puncture repait kit, tyre levers, spare inner tube(s) and pump!! :thumbup:

slyboots

by slyboots

02GF74 wrote:re: stiffness, I thought that too then I thought about it and reckon an air filled tyre would look like that too ... perhaps

Here is what pneumatic tyre looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiPiNX90tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the other side if you check the airless tyre clip starting around 2:08, you will see that tyre doesn't conform to the ground at all and gets deflected off every tiny stone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

the amount of deformation in the clip of aired tyre going down steps surprises me - looks to me to be under inflated.

would be good to see the erw going down similar .... but it is early days i guess.