The TriRig Mercury Pedal - just 71 grams per pair.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

35g per pedal, 71g per pair and a complete system weight (with cleats and all fasteners) of 136 grams.

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... ury_Pedals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by BmanX on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mca56

by mca56

It looks like these cleats may force the spindle position more forward on the shoe than Look, Shimano, or even Ultralite. This may not sit well with the trend towards the cleat further toward the middle of the foot. Otherwise, an interesting design.

BmanX

by BmanX

I agree with that but if he can sort that out it might be a nice option.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

AGW

by AGW

Why do the aerolites, ultralights, and now these cost so damn much? I understand R&D and all that, but there's little more here than a pair of ti spindles.

A pair of these and a Dash saddle would set me back the cost of a decent race frame. Or a complete midlevel groupset.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

you should not buy these as people might think you are a triathlete.

lechat

by lechat

Hmmm. My Bebops are lighter (peds/cleats) than nanograms. Only ~ $150 too!

wally318

by wally318

You know, as part of the projects that have evolved into what I am capable of
making myself today. Back in the early 90's when I looked into the bike mags
for potential components which would yeild the greatest weight savings when
modified. It was the mountain bikers 1st. and the triathletes 2nd. who embraced
the lightweight trend. Roadies were dragged into it kicking and screaming.
NOW they are screaming at the UCI because of the 6.8 rule.
I guess being a triathlete isn't such a bad thing. By the way I'm a roadie.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

RussellS

by RussellS

I applaud them for giving credit where it is due. Aerolite pedals. This "new" pedal is pretty close to a 100% copy of the 20(?) year old Aerolite design. Apparently the Aerolite patents, if they ever had any, expired. I did not have much experience with Aerolite pedals. But whatever the reasons for it never catching on probably still apply to this new design. I doubt it was simply a lack of marketing muscle that doomed Aerolite.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

So now you have a condition where there is a massive contact area between parts that are skidding, instead of being aided by rolling ball bearings. One would think any weight gains would be easily lost by friction. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Appreciate the heads-up on these!

My big issue with Aerolite was the fixed cleat, no fore-aft adjustment.
And the new Ultralight has that wierd ingress/egress.

These seem to have a better cleat than aerolite, with the same easy on/off.

EDIT 12/20: if you think the cleat places the axle too far forward on the shoe, it looks as though you might be able to reverse it, or exchange right with left? And you'd still have a bit of adjustment to play with.
Last edited by UpFromOne on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bura

by bura

AGW wrote:Why do the aerolites, ultralights, and now these cost so damn much? I understand R&D and all that, but there's little more here than a pair of ti spindles.

A pair of these and a Dash saddle would set me back the cost of a decent race frame. Or a complete midlevel groupset.

Exactly my thinking. :thumbup:
No wonder if a Chinese company will make same pedal set and sell it for 50 to 60 bucks.
Then it is time to advertise that "these are aerospace-grade? Ti spindles" , "no Chinese fakes" .
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I still want the m2racer orbII pedals back!
Speedplay is the devil!

BmanX

by BmanX

AGW wrote:and now these cost so damn much?

I am sorry but where did you see pricing on these. Did I miss something. Do you have some inside information as to the cost of these pedals since the pricing has not been released yet.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

F45

by F45

"On that note, there's the obvious comparison of price. The Ultralite Nimbus Ti, the one that weighs the same as the Mercury, costs $395 retail. The Mercury's price point is still to be determined, but we believe it will be significantly less expensive than the Ultralites."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natiedean24

by natiedean24

On the one hand, variable q-factor would seem to help in fitting. On the other hand, that don't mean jack if there is no float!

I have always thought of the Aerolite system as pure crap. It only ticks one box and that is light weight. The manufacturer (in his write-up) comes down on needle bearings awfully hard. They might not be perfect and may be a source of failure. Having said that, 10,000+ miles on my Time RXS and they are still smooth. I wonder what these nylon bushing pedals will feel like after a few thousand miles.