Action - pictures !

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Working for my teammate at NJ state crit champs. Teammate later dropped out due to us being too awesome for him (I'm on the microSHIFT).

In a break at Rockleigh Cirt (I survived 4 laps then was reeled back in, because the guy behind me on the fake pina didn't know what it meant to pull, nor did he understand that attacking me for a prime isn't exactly a winning technique...fool).

At the Tour De Fair Haven. My first 3/4 race. It was very fast.

Suffering in the rain at some really tough race. This was a day after my first ever century, iirc. I was hurting real bad. I was popped off the back and motored alone for 3 laps only to find out I was actually in the break intially, and was then in no man's land. I was swallowed up by the field, where I sprinted to a second place field finish, 15th after the 13 who escaped. NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN!
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Maximilian wrote:There now?

Yup. :thumbup:

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:(I survived 4 laps then was reeled back in, because the guy behind me on the fake pina didn't know what it meant to pull, nor did he understand that attacking me for a prime isn't exactly a winning technique...fool).

He probably didn't think you guys had a chance. In that case, it's good race tactics on his part. Grab a prime and still be good for a field finish. You should have sat up ASAP once you found yourself out there with dead weight.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:(I survived 4 laps then was reeled back in, because the guy behind me on the fake pina didn't know what it meant to pull, nor did he understand that attacking me for a prime isn't exactly a winning technique...fool).

He probably didn't think you guys had a chance. In that case, it's good race tactics on his part. Grab a prime and still be good for a field finish. You should have sat up ASAP once you found yourself out there with dead weight.[/quote]

I spoke to him afterwards - he told me that it was a "training" race for him, and he didn't want to mess up his training schedule. The eff? My teammates were yelling at me to attack him after I came around the second time, but I didn't understand what they were saying. It was my first time in a semi-successful break, and it was all very exciting - it kind of just developed that they let me ride away. I don't remember attacking, I kind of just slingshot through the front after they reeled back a different attack. I see him out training on the road and I attack him all day long now. I only feel a little bad because he's older.

We didn't know there was a prime until the lap beforehand - we were away for 3 laps at that time. The eventual third place series winner thought we looked pretty good and he bridged up to us...just as I sat up and decided I had it way past my limit with this chooch sucking my wheel. He (Bryan, third place in the series) was pretty sad about that lol.

Eli

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Welcome to racing mate.

don't be bitter about it - rather appreciate that's what going to happen, a lot, unless you out think the other guy.

Like J said, the other dude was smart enough to know when the prime was and that he didn't think you would stay away.

Racing ain't all just about the legs :thumbup:

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

LOL thanks. I still don't get why he'd rather a burger than $50 for first place or $40 for second (small local series). If he would have worked into the rotation...I don't know...3 times, just to give me a cumulative 2 minutes of rest, I think we would have made it. I had someone video taping at the race and we were a good bit ahead. Whatever, I'm over it. I took 3rd that night. If you have 72 seconds to spare, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTX5qsK-qg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eli

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Peloton not exactly in a 'frenzy' to reel you back in :lol:

Still, I love race stories. Better luck next time mate.

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Tinea Pedis wrote:Peloton not exactly in a 'frenzy' to reel you back in :lol:

Ha I know, that's what I said! They kind of just let me go, I never even attacked! Next race is in 3 months and 6 days. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NOR'EAST SEASON TO START. Sorry, I got excited there.

Eli

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:Image
Did you guys break the speed limit 8) ?

Tinea Pedis wrote:Racing ain't all just about the legs :thumbup:
That's right. It's also about the bike, all 1.5 to 2 inches of bottom bracket movement's worth.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

HammerTime2 wrote:That's right. It's also about the bike, all 1.5 to 2 inches of bottom bracket movement's worth.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Tinea Pedis wrote:Welcome to racing mate.

Ditto!
If you want a single breakaway, either drive everyone off your wheel or attack and if someone hangs on your wheel, stop pedalling till you're both back into peloton or if the other guy counterattacks, get on his wheel and attack again.
And do attacks with 70% of your max power, never do max effort attacks unless it is near finish and you have nothing to lose.

If you want company for your breakaway, either do it with other guys who you know and who are good time trialists, or make a break yourself and wait for the right guys. No right guys, get immediately back into peloton. If you are strong yourself, get prepared to be chased hard, so make attacks only on hills or with other strong guys.
If you know you're not that stong, making a single breakaway is a good way to look like an idiot who hangs 50meters in front of peloton for maximum of few kilometers and then is not even capable to hang back into the peloton.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

photo: Mateo Ortega
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

jipperd

by jipperd

Netherlands, South Limburg (Gulpen)

ImageImage

KWalker

by KWalker

AttacknowAttackoften wrote:

He probably didn't think you guys had a chance. In that case, it's good race tactics on his part. Grab a prime and still be good for a field finish. You should have sat up ASAP once you found yourself out there with dead weight.

I spoke to him afterwards - he told me that it was a "training" race for him, and he didn't want to mess up his training schedule. The eff? My teammates were yelling at me to attack him after I came around the second time, but I didn't understand what they were saying. It was my first time in a semi-successful break, and it was all very exciting - it kind of just developed that they let me ride away. I don't remember attacking, I kind of just slingshot through the front after they reeled back a different attack. I see him out training on the road and I attack him all day long now. I only feel a little bad because he's older.

We didn't know there was a prime until the lap beforehand - we were away for 3 laps at that time. The eventual third place series winner thought we looked pretty good and he bridged up to us...just as I sat up and decided I had it way past my limit with this chooch sucking my wheel. He (Bryan, third place in the series) was pretty sad about that lol.[/quote]

Judging by the quote "...my first 3/4 race" and the fact that that break was in a cat 4 race why did you think it'd work? Very few 4's know how to ride well in a break, and, if they do, they usually upgrade fast. Even in the 3's I don't know how many breaks I was in where people pull too hard, don't know when to meter their efforts, sit in, and/or just get in the break to say they were, to get in pictures in it, or because they're overeager and don't understand that they're not strong enough to fend off a field.

There is no such thing as a semi-successful break. Either it wins, it sets up a teammate for a win, or in a stage race it makes the leader's team/leader do a lot of work.

As for the training race thing that can make sense. A lot of guys, myself included, get in pointless breaks at the local training race that ends pretty much in the same finish almost every single time. Knowing that it was a cat 4 race, however, its kinda laughable.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Semi-successful in that it was exciting for me to be in a break that stuck for a bit. Success for me. But we were caught. Failure.

I was (still am) training with some cat 1/2's so I had the mindset to just assume people knew what to do...but I learned quickly.

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Pics from an ITT on new years day. Started out strong and really started increasing my output in the second half of the race until......puncture...

Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk