Saddle setup - Fizik Ares

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I have a Fizik Ares saddle on my TT bike, but currently when I do my intervals on the turbotrainer my private parts go numb. I have the saddle set up flat from front to back, but am wondering if a lowered front, or raised front will eliminate the numbness. Any ideas?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Change saddle.

At least that's what worked for me. Had the same issues, tried all sorts of different angles. In the end I decided to change. Tried a few different manufacturers, settled on SMP. Everyones arse is different.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Similar situation. Numbness issues started a few years ago. Tried pretty much everything out there. Specialized was a lot better, used Toupes and then Romins until this year. Read something on Steve Hogg's website about SMP saddles working for some people when nothing else would. Tried their Evolution, problem solved forever.
FYI we don't even sell SMP in the shop, but we sell a ton of specialized. Trying to change that.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I have a similar situation going on. I can knock out 80+ miles without sores on my current Fizik Ares, but it's a miserable time when I'm doing indoor trainer workouts.

A Triathlon buddy of mine turned me on to trying out the Adamo ISM - I'm going to try the Breakaway saddle. I'll offer a trainer ride update after a couple workouts when it comes for me at Christmas.

Getter

by Getter

I had the same issue when I lowered my bars. I just tilted my saddle down a bit...no more numb nuts.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

CerveloBert wrote:I have a similar situation going on. I can knock out 80+ miles without sores on my current Fizik Ares, but it's a miserable time when I'm doing indoor trainer workouts.

A Triathlon buddy of mine turned me on to trying out the Adamo ISM - I'm going to try the Breakaway saddle. I'll offer a trainer ride update after a couple workouts when it comes for me at Christmas.

Cool, let me know how it turns out :D
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

grid256

by grid256

Be careful with this. I do intervals during the winter on my tt bike up to 50 minutes in length and I've used all of the split nose saddles, the latest being the Dash Stage 9. For whatever reason, the Adamo Podium works the best for me and I'm of the mind that a true tt position has yet to be addressed with any of the current designs, though the Stage 9 was close, it's just so damn hard. So, I stick with the Podium because it narrows quite aggressively in the front, just like your sit bones do as the hips are rolled forward. I'm still waiting for someone to get this right and address the needs of time trialers, not triathletes who rarely used dropped head positions and in many cases ride higher up than decent road cyclists. The owner of ISM used to sell jewelry from his basement... anything to make a dollar, depressing.

That's the saddle part. The other part is standing up, even during threshold work - you'll eventually have to do this. Pop up a few gears, and pedal out of the saddle to keep the blood flowing. Do this is every 5 minutes or so if you're doing some heavy work. The split nose is by no means a panacea, but it will get you further down the road and allow for an aggressive position.

I should add, this assumes indoor riding. Outdoors it rarely bothers me.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

grid256 wrote:That's the saddle part. The other part is standing up, even during threshold work - you'll eventually have to do this. Pop up a few gears, and pedal out of the saddle to keep the blood flowing. Do this is every 5 minutes or so if you're doing some heavy work.

yup this works!

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I just tried out that breakaway saddle on a group ride and two trainer sessions:

The Good - The blood flow and numb parts are no longer numbing. I can get on the tip of the saddle and still feel lots of support minus the numbness. It works well when I get into the drops if I roll my hips forward, and getting low into the drops flat profile doesn't feel like I'm losing all support on my back end.

The Bad - The nose is very wide on the breakaway model. I should have tried out the podium version first before trying this out. I do get some inner thigh rub, but once I get locked into an interval it doesn't feel so odd. The extra comfort is offset by the fact that the saddle is new and will take some fit adjustments and some getting used to. No numbness makes my sensitive parts all happy though.

I do agree with that statement about getting out of the saddle. Before changing to this saddle, I could not get through an hour trainer session unless I stood up for 3-4 minutes on my longer intervals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com