50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

^^ not sure if they are the same company or not, but i notice the price is a tad bit higher than what most members on this thread has posted after contacting johnson or some other lady( whoh's name i forgot) directly.

can't remember which page of the thread it was in.. i wish someone would post up their contact info on the first page. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miele

by Miele

Just a couple of questions if you guys dont mind:

I am 190 lbs so are any of you of similar weight finding the 20/24 in either 38 or 50mm CC to not be stiff enough? I emailed to ask if they do 24/28

Also, do both the M and N rims have the basalt brake track? I noticed the "N" versions are on sale right now. The minor weight difference doesnt bother me.

Great reviewing on these wheels - thanks so much!

Roger9

by Roger9

Miele wrote:Just a couple of questions if you guys dont mind:

I am 190 lbs so are any of you of similar weight finding the 20/24 in either 38 or 50mm CC to not be stiff enough? I emailed to ask if they do 24/28

Also, do both the M and N rims have the basalt brake track? I noticed the "N" versions are on sale right now. The minor weight difference doesnt bother me.

Great reviewing on these wheels - thanks so much!

My FFWD wheels also had 20/24 and they were plenty stiff. I got the 50M from Farsport and on the bike they feel equally as stiff. As a test, I temporarily had the pads set really close to the rim and did some aggressive hill sprints and there was no contact with the rim. I know it's not scientific, but at 79.99999kg I have no complaints about wheel stiffness and I do hammer hard.

I know my 50M has basalt, not sure about N but it should say on the website.

I dealt with Angela at Farsport -- sales4@farsports.cn. Her english is acceptable and she was very helpful and timely in responses.

vince15

by vince15

honestly i don't like the tiny holes on the brake surface, looks rough, seem to be milling or used, i have my wheels from focus-carbon.com, the brake surface looks clean, i am noticed that there are different lever of basalt carbon, the higher version do not have such a rough brakes, on the other hand, it's up to the lay-up system, i will post the photos of brake surface of rims later, which i get from justin@focus-carbon.com :D

vince15

by vince15

got some close-up photos for brake tracks, it looks very clean, smooth, and the basalt carbon is very different, seems like granite, novatec have used this brake tracks for their latest high-end wheels.
DSC02106.JPG
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02113.JPG

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Posted a review of the 38mm's in a separate thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108774
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

configsys

by configsys

vince15 wrote:after reading much comments, i decided to purchase a pair of 50C rims from farsport, i waited more than 1 month as the guys advised the 2 weeks delivery time, whatever, i got the rims last week and built them soon, but what's the disappointment is that there were some lumps in the brake track, this is how the lumps look after a 500 miles, any one had the experience about warranty? Can i ask for refund?

Did you ever get this resolved? Mine are looking like that now (after 1500 miles) and FarSport told me to sand it down. I refused to do that and told them they need to send me new wheels. I'm surprised if we're the only ones experiencing this.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I pulled the trigger and ordered Far Sports 50mm clinchers and a set of 88mm tubs for the track. My payment was received Nov. 15th. 1st I was told that Far Sports was out of CX-Ray spokes. Now the story is they're out of the Ceramic Edhubs. Kyle told me they'll be done by next week. My personal experience combined with the latest comments to this thread has me really nervous. I'll keep you all posted...

configsys

by configsys

roadytracky wrote:I pulled the trigger and ordered Far Sports 50mm clinchers and a set of 88mm tubs for the track. My payment was received Nov. 15th. 1st I was told that Far Sports was out of CX-Ray spokes. Now the story is they're out of the Ceramic Edhubs. Kyle told me they'll be done by next week. My personal experience combined with the latest comments to this thread has me really nervous. I'll keep you all posted...

I'm confident you'll receive your wheels, just hope you don't have any problems or issues. That's when it gets frustrating dealing with them.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Just got notification that my wheelsets have finally started their journey from China to America. Hopefully they're on a plane and not on a slow boat (from) China...

kook43

by kook43

I want to thank all those on this thread for motivating me to stow my 1775g Giant P-SL1 wheelset for a set of FSC50-CM's @ ~1400g. Your time and research (and a bunch of my own) gave me confidence to pull the $600+ trigger. Only took 10 days to get them, no extra Paypal charge via farsports.cn | wheelsfar.com.

At only 200+mi on this set so far I couldn't be happier. All I really wanted was lighter weight, and a bit of aero, which I got and more.
They just feel more stiff and responsive and with being ~155lbs I probably couldn't twist them if I tried, not even on my fav all out climbs. I'm just back from a 45mi hill romp this weekend and loved it.

The Bitex hubs are smooth, and these wheels spin up noticeably faster. I'm using red Velo plugs, the included blue Farsports pads and skewers. Braking is different, but not scary, the pads have worn quickly and I'm going to try Swiss Stop yellows next. No pulse, no fade, just a light scream from the pads on my last heavy descent (42mph to stop).

My rear Conti GP 4000s went on with a bit of grit and tire lever, not too difficult. The front P-SL1 went on by hand (almost worn, replacing after the new year). 38mm extenders on 40mm tubes is a bit much (wrapped in electrical tape to quiet the chatter). Pretty confident 60mm tube stems would be sufficient.

This is a great first set of carbon wheels for the un-initiated; Inexpensive, light, stiff, good performer so far and a nice steathly look with the UD Matte.

pic.
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3JtdOXmJsAwti;FBA35563-2E63-41B1-9824-DD49048E1B30

Regards
Super happy broken bodied ex-halfpipe/park rider addicted to speed and suffering.
Kook-
Last edited by kook43 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric

by eric

60mm stems works for me. Just long enough.

Try the Reynolds Cryo pads. They're about half the price of Swiss Stop Yellows and worked much better for me on older Reynolds wheels. They also didn't require the glaze being filed off nearly so often. It seemed my Yellows wore more from that than from braking.

The wear rate seems to be about the same. Carbon pads will wear faster than rubber pads on alu rims as they're designed to be softer than the rims to save them.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

kook43 - nice looking Giant. that's great your wheels took only 10 days to arrive.

My Far Sports wheels took 27 days to arrive which I was not happy with. I have not ridden the 50's yet, but they look great. I'll weigh them when I get a chance (got busy with Xmas and work).

kook43

by kook43

Thanks @eric. It might be sacrilege, but I found Boyd's pad set to be even cheaper ($15 for 4). I do respect the US builders as a business and my LBS, and who knows, if these farsports fail, Boyd was next on my list anyway.

Thanks @roadytracky I do love the look now, more grounded, thick, burly and weighty. These wheels match the stiffness of the frame, both rock solid. Get to riding man! You won't be disappointed :P How do you like your 88's?

boombaux

by boombaux

has anyone bought this yet?

i can't find prices but claimed 880g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com