Converting Pre 2010 FFWD Rear hub to C11

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Hi, I have an '09 FFWD rear hub which is not plug and play with campagnolo 11S cassettes. You need a spacer. I emailed the UK distributer, Paligap, who sent me a spacer. It is about 18mm in diameter with an ID of 15mm. If would make sense that this would be installed behind the freehub body. I emailed FFWD USA for installation instructions and apparently the spacer goes over the FHB between it and the cassette!?

Does anyone know what spacer I need and where it goes?

Edit, found this on FFWD EU: "Before 2010 the FFWD Campa hubs were not compatible with the 11speed cassette. For riders wanting to upgrade their pre-2010 FFWD hubs to Campa 11sp, FFWD is offering a 0,5mm spacer which should be placed underneath the cassette body"

So how do I install the spacer?

Thanks,

Max.

Seems like I've answered my own question. The end of the axle takes 5mm allen keys on both ends

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Put the spacer on first, then the cassette, then the lock ring and torque down (using a torque wrench unless you are very experienced) as usual.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Maximilian

by Maximilian

This the thing, the spacer doesn't fit over the cassette.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

either that's the wrong spacer or the instructions are wrong. that's too small to fit anywhere on the outside.

what is the problem when fitting an 11s cassette?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

apLe

by apLe

Maybe it should be fitted inside? The same kind of spacers are used in Zipp 188 hubs when you are swapping the rotors. Maybe you have to dismount the rotor, add this spacer and put the rotor back again? It looks like this spacer is used not to move the cassette further, but to move the whole rotor further back from the flange. Am I right?
18' R5 coming soon...

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

There is a good chance that it goes on the axle, inboard of the drive side end cap. When you use current Campy cassettes, you need clearance between the smallest cog and the frame. Put an 11 speed Campy cassette on a 10 speed Shimano freehub body (assuming the spline pattern allowed it) and the smallest cog would nearly certainly hit the inside of the drive side chainstay. This would mean that you are functionally making the hub a tiny bit wider, and then cheating that hub into a 130mm hub spacing.

When switching a Novatec F482 from Shimano to Campagnolo, as an example, you replace the drive side end cap with one that is thicker, and the non-drive one with a thinner end cap. This is sort of the same deal, you just aren't making the non-drive end cap thinner.

Mackers

by Mackers

From the FFWD website:

For riders wanting to upgrade their pre-2010 FFWD hubs to Campa 11sp, FFWD is offering a 0,5mm spacer which should be placed underneath the cassette body.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

What do they mean by the cassette body? The actual cassette or freehub body?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Freehub body.