Scott Foil Questions - General Thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vallron

by Vallron

The front derailleur tab on the Scott Foil is constructed of Carbon Fiber. What is the recommended torque for securing a braze on derailleur to the Carbon Fiber tab ?
Last edited by Vallron on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Renderdog

by Renderdog

35 in-lbs

Vallron

by Vallron

Renderdog wrote:35 in-lbs

Thank You. :thumbup:

35 in-lbs equates to 3.95 Newton Meters [N*m]

Vallron

by Vallron

I have been in contact with Scott and here is what they recommend :

In their own words.

Shimano recommend for example 5-7 NM.

I would think 5Nm is enough at Foil. You can put some red carbon grease at the Carbon surface from the FD Hanger at the frame do avoid that the FD will twist during shifting. Please note it`s necessary to use the Carbon Washer which is included to all Frame sets.

I would recommend you to start with 3-4 Nm and would also put some blue Loctide at the thread.

bura

by bura

In many places where CF and alloy parts are fixed together ,manufacturers give a torque of not more than 5NM to tighten parts.
Around stem face plates and carbon bars as well as carbon forks and stem fixing points. No different when clamping CF seat posts .
Always safe to treat bolts teeth with Loctite threadlocker.
So 5NM will be a very good figure for tighten your FD and use Loctite here as Vallron suggested.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Vallron

by Vallron

Scott Foil seat post installation. Which type of carbon paste would be best suited for the job to help prevent seat post slippage, etc ?

kya

by kya

Don't know if it's the best, but I used Finish Line's fiber grip and torqued only to 10NM. I have not had any issues with seatpost slippage on my Foil.

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I washed the the Carbon paste of and lubricated the locking mechanism. That kept the post on its position.

project3

by project3

Since this is a general thread about Scott foil. Anyone knows can we use 25mm tires especially on the front?

drchull

by drchull

Yep, no problem with HED C2+25C tires.

project3

by project3

Thanks

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Vallron wrote:Scott Foil seat post installation. Which type of carbon paste would be best suited for the job to help prevent seat post slippage, etc ?

I used Park Tools carbon paste on my post. Lubed the other bits a little with white lightning toensure they slide easily.

Torque to about 8nm Max. It starts to make weird creaking noises above that, never had it slip. I know they say 12nm. But seems like the bolt or frame would snap.

Vallron

by Vallron

Thanks a lot folks for the informative answers. Very helpful and much appreciated.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Like others said, the key to stopping the seatpost slippage is greasing the surfaces in between compression bolt for the post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vallron

by Vallron

Scott Bikes recommend the use of special carbon grease of Scott, Syntace, Ritchey, or Motorex, for use on seatposts, stems and headset assembly.

Motorex Carbon Grease : http://motorexbicycle.com/mb/prod_detail.asp?id=25

Unique carbon assembly compound designed only for carbon bicycles. The compound is friction grease that is ideal for carbon/carbon or carbon/metal connections like seat posts. The unique feature of the MOTOREX CARBON GREASE is that it contains no particulates. Most friction greases have grit or particles to add friction. These particles will attack and compromise a carbon structure over time. The MOTOREX CARBON GREASE will not harm the carbon components or frames.