2012 Trek Madone 3.1 vs 2013 Trek Madone 4.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Hi guys,

I've got a 2012 Trek Madone 3.1 with the following upgrades:
- Bonty Affinity RL Saddle (white)
- Dura-Ace C24 9000 wheels with Bonty R3 tyres
- Shimano 105 brakes

I went to my LBS to talk about upgrading the groupset which is a mix of 105 & Tiagra to Ultegra. They suggested I buy a new bike with Ultegra, rather than spend $1000 (AUD) on the group set. They pointed me in the direction of the new 2013 Trek Madone 5.2. The bike specs are great but I just can't dig the two color options!

I then looked at the 2013 4.7 as the color scheme is close to me 3.1, which I really like. They said there wouldn't be much difference between these two. The changes would be:
- Full Ultegra group set, instead of 105/Tiagra mix
- 400 series OCLV carbon, instead of 300
- BB90 bottom bracket, (don't know what the 3.1 has but I know it isn't a BB90!)
- Trek Carbon Road fork, instead of Bontrager Race w/E2 aluminum steerer with carbon legs (**What does "Trek Carbon Road fork mean tho???!)
- Bonty Carbon seatpost, instead of Bontrager Race Lite Alloy

Overall this would cost me an extra $1200 by the time I sold my 3.1. Obviously I would swap over my seat and wheels/tyres.

Do you think it would be a substantial improvement given the relatively cheap cost of the upgrade? Or should I look at higher models?

Thanks

Daniel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

1200$ to go from a 3.1 to a 4.7, i would never do it.
If i was you i'd just ride the 3.1 a few more years and then buy a 5 series. Why did you buy the 3.1 if you are already upgrading everything?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I would also suggest staying with the 3.1 before upgrading to the 4.7. The 5.2 is only around $500 more than the 4.7, and that $500ish gets you a much more advanced frame.

better carbon
aero
more comfortable
seat mast
internal cables

overall the 5.2 frame will be lighter, stiffer and more comfortable (especially in the seat stays)

If I were contemplating this 4.7/5.3 decision it'd be the 5.2 no doubt, but then again this is your decision and not mine. Good luck sir and may the force be with you.

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Thanks for the replies. I just wish I could love the 5.2's paint options, but I can't!

I also like the thought that the 4.7 has tried and trusted ultegra brakes, not bonty ones like the 5.2.

Maybe I need to test ride them both.

One slight problem with keeping my 3.1 a little longer is I am going to France in July to ride in the alps/pira's. I want to upgrade before then to have a bike I am happy with, that I will have ridden a lot and got comfortable with, that won't break the budget for this trip!

I'm confused about the fork on the 4.7, what does "Trek Carbon Road" mean I wonder? Is it different to my 3.1 fork.
Here is my 3.1's specs: http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/20 ... mpact_2012

Cheers

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The difference in the fork is your 3.1 has a heavy aluminum steerer tube while the upgraded "trek carbon" is a full carbon fork which probably saves about 100+ grams off yours.

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Thanks. I have an update!

My LBS has given me a cracking deal on a 2012 5.9:

$3300 without wheels, tyres and seat

I think this would be the smarter option. What do you guys think?

Reason for the low price is it is floor stock that he needs to move out!!

SDP

by SDP

:thumbup:

better option ..

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Yeah I think so!

I'm just looking up all the Ultegra Di2 stuff on the net, seems to get good reviews. I'm excited!

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Haha! I'm test riding it tomorrow!

dew4rd

by dew4rd

Put the deposit down today! I went for a test ride, so comfy to ride. The shifting was amazing too, I tried to fault it but couldn't. I even went up hill and stood on the pedals and shifted down in the middle, it shifted every time!

NGMN

by NGMN

900 gram frame and di2; now you're talking!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com