Upgrading Sram Red to 11sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

any videos of it working?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

monchito

by monchito

First of all, thank you everybody for your comments, i really appreciate them. :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:

First - both in this thread and your other threads you obviously have a wide range of machinery available to you. Do you work at a shop? Is this all at home? How did you get so many useful tools? What do you do for a living?

Well, yes the workshop and my house is the same building (although my house don´t seem the foundries of Mordor :lol: :lol: ) The very old machinery is from the late 50´s and my father bought it then. I buy the building around 15 years ago, which is also very old (lates of XVIII). I do and did all kind of things for living, from desing and construction or reparation of industrial machinery, to reform or restore old houses, motorcycles or antiquities, or even i did some kind of artistic iron grates or railings.

Here, some pictures:

car platforms por monchito3000, en Flickr

escalera y reja clot por monchito3000, en Flickr

iron rose por monchito3000, en Flickr

Anyway, not much work here, so i can spend my time in WW stuff and training and training and training... ...and training.

Second - I like how you decided to further modify your already modified mavic wheels (very impressive) - have you considered getting the new 11-spd compatible hubs and relacing them to your tuned rims, and of course just creating new axles again like you did before?

I didn´t consider that, because the mavic rims are pretty heavies, and that could be a lot of work for not a brilliant result. Also, i have to confess that my beloved and "wet dreams" wheels are the tubular lightweight ones, but as is very improbable that i ever could afford them, i have the very 8) 8) secret project 8) 8) of do my own kind of lightweight wheels, with some beautiful improvements. Anyways it´s a long term project...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

monchito

by monchito

mca56 wrote:Amazing work! I would love to upgrade my Red to 11 speed. Market the parts and you will find buyers.

Thanks mca56, but the problem is that i can´t do the piece from scratch, i mean, completely. I need the origial piece to modify it, and i don´t think that Sram sell it. The other thing is that in the very improbable case that something goes wrong with the customer piece, i could not fix it or replace it, so it is a risk i only can take with myself. And there is one more problem; right now, this shifters only can work in a modified hub, the 11sp cassette with 10sp spacing is so long that it doesn´t fit nor in a 11sp hub. Anyways, i am not Dr No. :wink: , so when i have a new dura-ace, i´ll can do the new core, and then it will be able to fit in all 10 sp hubs. And also i´m looking for some force, or rival or red broken shifter to use its internal piece as "wildcard". So still there are some posibilities...

monchito

by monchito

highwater wrote:Again, this is just flooring. Please keep us updated on the project, and how it is you have the access and skill to the machinery necessary for such an undertaking!

Thanks highwater, i´ll do (i hope soon) and it will be a 11sp cassete that probably will goes under 150 gr (12-25).
The machinery was there before i was born, and i grew up in the workshop, in fact, i began to do my first things there, when i was way younger that the dancing kid above. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so i had time to do miiiillions of mistakes until now.

monchito

by monchito

BeeBee30 wrote:What is interesting is there seems to me to be potential to make free hubs that are not Dura Ace 11 compatible work?

Yes, is posible, but in this case, only compatible with the modified Red shifters.
With the system i want to do, also is possible to do some 11sp cassette that will be compatible with both, Dura-ace 11sp shifter and old 10sp hub. In fact they probably did that way to sell a lot of new 11 speed wheels and hubs...

monchito

by monchito

Miller wrote:Eye-catching topic title fully borne out by the content within. What even made you think the conversion to 11sp was possible, had you already been inside a Red shifter and decided that the mechanism was suitable and there was enough material on the ratchet?

No, the first time i went inside the shifter was the time i did the ratchet teeth. But i had a plan B: if there wasn´t enogh material, i could do an external tensor lever in the frame, as in the very first dura-ace STI.

I wonder if Shimano producing a mechanical 11sp will prompt Sram into doing the same thing.

Sure, sooner or later, but sure. (I bet 2014)

monchito

by monchito

djconnel wrote:Super-impressive work. I am also curious why you even thought this would be possible.

I needed it so I had faith :wink:

For the cassette, could you simply add an 11 cog to a Recon 12-25?

Yes, in the modified hub.

I also like the 18, but for that I have a 12-23, and skip the 11.

I did that way, since i realized (or my ego recognized) that i already need a 25, but i didn´t want to say goodbye to my 18th. So, in 5 or 10 years i will need a 12sp cassette. :lol: :lol:

monchito

by monchito

eric wrote:Sure, if the hub has a DS flange that's far enough in and the hub leaves enough room. Monchito started with a Mavic hub which already has an extra spacer to run Shimano cassettes. Hubs that can fit Campy freehubs without redishing would be the best bet.

You are right, but in theory you even can make work a 11 sp cassette in a 8sp hub (Perhaps this is an example too exaggerated, but everything depends of cassette desing and distance between last cog and drive side spokes).

eric wrote:Monchito, any chance of producing the ratchets, possibly on an exchange basis? Are they different between the models of shifters?

I think that all models share the same internal mechanism, but i´m not sure. About the producing of ratchets, i answered about it above, to mca56, all the problematic involved. It´s difficult but still possible.

monchito

by monchito

thisisatest wrote:It may be traditional machines, but looking at those tools' size, I'd hardly call them basic.
What impressed me was how well the steps were thought out: making a tool to hold the part, I'm assuming you took measurements for where the groove would need to be to move the derailleur the correct amount, etc. Or maybe you tried a dozen times and only showed us the successful pics? Somehow I doubt it.

Je,je :wink: I tried just one time. In fact the mechanism (the internal ratchet, the one with the spring), give you the measure.

monchito

by monchito

BeeBee30 wrote:I think we should start a collection so this twisted genius can get his Dura Ace 9000 cassette and works his magic :twisted:

:P :P Great idea, and may be some Overmayers to do some tuning.... :thumbup:

Thanks, but i just realized that if someone could send some pictures of the 25-23-21 part of a Dura-Ace 9000, the front and the back side, it will be a great help. Because that way i could have the measures of the titanium cogs, and start making all the molds for the carbon core, without have the real thing.

monchito

by monchito

KWalker wrote:any videos of it working?

Yes, no problem, give me a couple of days.

NGMN

by NGMN

monchito, you are truly inspiring.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'll second that.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

:D

jk about the shut up thing, very cool again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Show me more! I love this thread!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?