Stripped SLR saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hillrider

by hillrider

I won a SLR 135g saddle off the bay,the vinyl seat cover was worn at the edges and a brutal colour.So I stripped off the cover and the super sticky foam underlay.Weight is down to 118g.Planning on riding the saddle bare carbon,but just in case my ass does'nt get on with it,is there anywhere on Ebay that sells suitable foam to pad the SLR out a bit more comfy??Thanks in advance lads!!

1spd

by 1spd

I haven't seen anything on the bay myself. My suggestion would do a search for upholstry foam and leather or find a local upholstry shop (one that does cars interiors or even a motor cycle shop-think Harley and find out who doestheir custom seats) That is about the only think I can think of. I was thinking the same thing the other day when I tore mine apart.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arky

by Arky

What you can use is a thin cheap mouse pad (the cheapest kind, which is thinner than usual). The type that I am referring to is about 2-4mm thick. Peel off the fabric layer. What you have left is a foam neoprene. You can stretch it over the saddle if you orient the corners fore/aft on the saddle. Buy some inexpensive black leather on ebay and some barge cement. Trim off the neoprene as it just rounds the edge. Trim the leather such that it leaves 1/4" (6mm) overhang to be bonded under. Around tight bends, create V notches so that the leather can gather into itself without bunching up. Been there done that!

bura

by bura

Good suggestion by Arky there.
But this is WW and I suggest that you try hard riding with blank carbon. You will get used to it. :)
If you think you must have some padding then try it with a better padded bib short first.
And plan B should be to add no foam but a layer of very thin leather onto the carbon.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Something like this will restore most of what the SLR originally had:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Closed ... 1048410%26

djconnel

by djconnel

I've been using a stripped SLR saddle on my Ritchey Breakaway for a few years. It's really fine. It's not my choice for double centuries, perhaps, but for normal riding it's okay.

Arguably at the same comfort level you could get thinner shorts and compensate the mass of a saddle cover but in reality I don't make that sort of optimization.

zambony

by zambony

do you know the original weight of the saddle? Mine was off by quite a bit...

ColBleep

by ColBleep

Here's a guy that recovers saddles: http://www.recoveredsaddle.com/

1spd

by 1spd

zambony wrote:do you know the original weight of the saddle? Mine was off by quite a bit...

my SLR carbonio (don't have any more) was stamped w/ 125g on it but it actually weighed in closer to 135 I believe. My XP was listed at 180 and on my scale showed 186g.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

hillrider

by hillrider

zambony wrote:do you know the original weight of the saddle? Mine was off by quite a bit...

It was 138g originally,so not bad,only 3g over.I have a 125g SLR that has 125g printed on the leather,and it weighs 169g!

djconnel

by djconnel

My original one was an early version, and was likely in the 130's. Stripped it is 117. I have a newer one (they beefed them up at some point) I use for double centuries and that's 142.

artray

by artray

I met a young chap from Liverpool who customises SLR saddles .Any of you Uk ww have a contact for him .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com