Warranty of trek frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Warranty possible?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes
19%
No
75%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 16

skatty

by skatty

Hi!

I've got a trek madone 6.2 2011. One day the chain jumped of the chainring, and pulled off the aluminium frame protector. The glue of the backside of the protector pulled of the paint, and I think one layer of carbon (see picture).

Is this my fault? in other words is it possible for me to get this fixed on the lifetime warranty from trek?

Thank you,

Åsmund
Attachments
2012-10-19 21.09.07.jpg

NGMN

by NGMN

Doubful you pulled off the carbon, most likely they'll have your shop repair it by replacing the plate. The plate itself is a part that can be ordered and replaced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Ditto, We are a Trek dealer and I am almost 99.9% certain that it is not a warranty issue.

artray

by artray

Can't tell from the photo but I pulled mine off my old Trek and It would take some doing to pull the carbon off .
I would be 99% sure it's just paint . Sand it down with some fine wet and dry and you will see for sure.

tommasini

by tommasini

Heck of a newbie first post to WW......

So shouldn't our reply be in the form of a traditional WW question.......how many grams has that now saved?? :P
Last edited by tommasini on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

em3

by em3

skatty wrote:One day the chain jumped of the chainring, and pulled off the aluminium frame protector.

Is this my fault? in other words is it possible for me to get this fixed on the lifetime warranty from trek?

Yes, this is absolutely your fault (a poll...really?). A manufacturer will not cover damage that results from parts that are improperly installed, adjusted and utilized. Chains don't just drop off chainrings...either your front der was improperly adjusted, your chain may be gummed up and sticky, your chainring teeth may be bent, or you simply did not shift correctly yielding a dropped chain (not to mention a host of other potential causes). Good luck, EM3

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Cannondale have the same silly metal bit but theres just normally falls off on its own. If you want it just get some glue

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Why not ask your bike shop this question? seriously?

Ryan94

by Ryan94

Wow, some of you guys are A$$ holes! The guy is asking a bike question on a bike forum and your ripping on him.

But to answer your question, no that is 100% not a warranty issue. Warranty covers defects in materials and craftsmanship, not user or mechanic error.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Not warranty at all. Looks to me like all you did was peel the paint off. Get a new frame protector from your dealer and stick it back on. The warranty is VOID without that piece on there.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I would have said yes because the purpose of the plate is to prevent damage to the frame and if it can be pulled off by the chain thats a little lousy isnt it?
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

weeracerweenie wrote:I would have said yes because the purpose of the plate is to prevent damage to the frame and if it can be pulled off by the chain thats a little lousy isnt it?

I would say it worked... Frame is still fine minus some paint...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

:welcome:

Isn't the plate to protect from chain suck :!: :?:

Hence why every man and his non WW dog is now fitting chain catchers to their bikes, unless you have the new sram red FD which comes as standard.

Ask Andy Schleck if you can find him... he knows all about chain drop...

Speccy, cannondale, trek etc etc etc all have the silver metallic deflector plate attached to prevent chain suck from scratching/damaging the chainstay, it wasn't attached to protect from chain drop - especially if you're unlucky enough to catch it right on the point where it's wedged and ripped it clean off said chainstay.

I voted not a chance (aka NO) days ago - aside from that - :welcome: