Powerful mini pump required

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

If you actually care about getting your tire inflated, why a mini pump? A Topeak Road MasteBlaster does the best job. Stick it on your rear triangle (non-drive side) and you're good to go.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Out on the road, lack of a pressure gauge is not a big deal. Assuming you didn't double-flat, pump until the flatted tire feels like the other one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I use the Topeak race Rocket HP:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_hp_sl

I don't think I can have a better pump right now IMHO.

I used to carry the Blackburn airstick, now it's in the bin...

Louis :)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

+1000 for lezyne. i have a mini. dont think i've gotten up to 120psi with it because lack of caring to.... but it'll get up to 100psi for sure and CERTAINLY enough to ride home. not like i've raced with a mini pump in my pocket or anything.

-Nathan

bluesea

by bluesea

I had a mini, and went to a large. The mini, although smaller is not unobtrusive, so I prefer the large.

waahila2 by pigmode, on Flickr

konky

by konky

Thanks for the suggestion but as I have said earlier in this thread I couldn't possibly have a pump strapped to my frame, or have a bike bag for that matter. I'm far too vain. I have to have the pro look. My weekness I'm afraid.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

I'd vote for this one http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/PocketRocket genuinely will get to 120psi.

Had it for a few years & would definitely buy it again if I lost it.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

konky wrote:Thanks for the suggestion but as I have said earlier in this thread I couldn't possibly have a pump strapped to my frame, or have a bike bag for that matter. I'm far too vain. I have to have the pro look. My weekness I'm afraid.

Pros race without saddle bags, however most of them train with a saddle bag. Hence, get a saddle bag to mimic the pro look while training.

djconnel

by djconnel

Wow -- extremely well stated. Deserves a bump.

The Lezyne is the best, I think, but be careful to make sure your valve core is tight before screwing on the pump head, then use the pressure-release button before removing it (as this seems to reduce the tendency to unscrew a removable core).

prendrefeu wrote:let me continue that for you:

... and wasteful(1), and short-lasting (2), and costly(3), and limited(4)

So therefore mini-pump > C02 pump unless you're in a short (less than 100km) race w/o support.

Footnotes:
1. The amount of energy needed to create each cartridge, fill it with compressed air, ship it to your door all for one use is ridiculous. Only a very small percentage are actually ever recycled, the majority end up in landfills. Those that are recycled for metal content do not simply get re-filled: an entirely new cartridge has to be created for new sales, they are not re-used, along with all the energy needed to make that possible. Using compressed air cartridges is a bit of a 'f*ck you' to the planet when there are better, more intelligent resources available that are efficient, reusable, and longer lasting.
2. C02 leaves the tube faster than normal air mixture. Ever get a flat 100mi in with another 100mi to go? Your best bet is use a mini-pump or pray that someone has a floor pump in your near future.
3. Shit costs money, yo. One mini-pump = $45, years of use and no-limit to the amount of tubes it can pump up. Cartridges are a cost per use (and waste per use)
4. How many cartridges are you willing to carry on an extended ride? What if one releases gas through a poor valve connection? That's one less. A mini-pump is not limited in usage, and it's only one unit you have to carry - not a quantity of units.

Besides - use a mini-pump and give your arms a little exercise, eh? If you're properly fit and a well balanced athlete as you think you should be, getting a TopPeak Micro CF up to 120psi really isn't that big of a deal.

KH1

by KH1

konky wrote:Yes I liked prendrefeu's post also. I just ordered up a Lezyne carbon pressure drive 3 mini pump for £50. There is a limit on how much time one can ponder over a fairly basic item, and my limit is small.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

Good choice.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HakeemT wrote:
konky wrote:Thanks for the suggestion but as I have said earlier in this thread I couldn't possibly have a pump strapped to my frame, or have a bike bag for that matter. I'm far too vain. I have to have the pro look. My weekness I'm afraid.

Pros race without saddle bags, however most of them train with a saddle bag. Hence, get a saddle bag to mimic the pro look while training.
Here's one example (lifting from another thread) - scroll down to see the bike:
https://twitter.com/HansenAdam/status/2 ... 84/photo/1

Franklin

by Franklin

The Quicker Pro! I haven't seen it take less than top honors in the reviews that are out there. It soundly beats Topeak and Lezyne in comparisons.

http://www.quickex.com/200-143-quicker_pro.htm

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html
http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=1957
http://road.cc/content/review/6815-quic ... -mini-pump

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Attaching a pump to a frame goes against the rules, just in case nobody knew yet...

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I had that Blackburn unt I lost it and couldn't get past 60psi without tearing the valve off. I now have a pro cnc+ and it's heavier but better. Has a hidden hose too.

Why not have the pump attached to the bottle cage, it doesn't look good? Weight. I know saddlebags look like shit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

On the Topeaks my Mini-Morph seems to have given up on me. I tried swapping the O-ring and probably didn't get a perfect match and now it's worse. I should try to find a beefier O-ring. Or maybe something else is wrong. It just doesn't pump.