THM Clavicula Install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I just installed a set. The instructions are detailed so I won't cover anything listed in them. I ran into a couple things so I figured I'd share my experience in case it helps someone else.

First - I noticed the threads on the BB were damaged. Nothing serious. I threaded them in by hand before installing just to be safe. Most people these days are using an 'Integrated System' but if you do have a threaded BB I would advise checking the threads. Disclaimer - I did not install the bottom bracket. I do not have a facing/chasing tool so I brought my frame to the LBS.

The installation of the cranks was pretty straight forwards. There is one thing I wanted to mention that the instructions didn't. It can be difficult to push the 'Drive side' arm through far enough to attach the 'Left hand crank'. I lightly greased the contact surface but it was still pretty stiff. I attempted to use the screw that attaches the two cranks with the disc to 'pull' the crank through. It did not reach yet. I purchased another screw, same threads (coarse) but longer by about a 1/4 inch. I was able to easily pull the crank through. Replaced the purchased screw with provided.

I realize my tip is vague. Hard to describe, but if you end up trying to install these I think you'll know what I am talking about. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ps. Mods - this is my first post so move if another Forum is more appropriate.

Horacio

by Horacio

Thanks for the post. I'll be installing mine soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

On a threaded BB, always chase the threads and face it (assuming you can).

Rippin

by Rippin

The best tip that I received here on ww on making the drive-side crank easier to install is to put it in the freezer for about an hour. This will cause the metal spindle sleeves to contract. Grease the spindle sleeves before you put it in the freezer. Installation will be much easier after these steps.

I would take precaution on using a longer pre-load screw to pull the drive-side crank through. I have read that too much torque can pull the threaded insert out of the spindle.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

Rippin wrote:The best tip that I received here on ww on making the drive-side crank easier to install is to put it in the freezer for about an hour. This will cause the metal spindle sleeves to contract. Grease the spindle sleeves before you put it in the freezer. Installation will be much easier after these steps.

I would take precaution on using a longer pre-load screw to pull the drive-side crank through. I have read that too much torque can pull the threaded insert out of the spindle.

Agreed, and this was a concern of mine. I used a torque wrech to tighten screw. Torque did not exceed 3 Nm. I was also concerned about the force excerted on the disc so I used a large washer. I found that neither the washer or the torque wrech was required as force excerted was low.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

Geoff wrote:On a threaded BB, always chase the threads and face it (assuming you can).

Yes, a must. I did not have the tools but brought bike to LBS to have that work done. No worse sound than the 'shreak' of a cross thread.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ooooooooh! The thought sends shivers down my spine... :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com