Shimano DA 9000 11sp - any compatibility with Campag 11sp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mackers

by Mackers

Why not take a picture head on, instead of at an angle?

eric

by eric

The blocks the cassettes are on are at an angle. The cassettes are not. There's two blocks, one on either side of the cassette, and the blocks have to be farther apart for the cassette on the left because the freehub parts that are below the cog are larger in diameter. He actually explains that better than I did, so re-read the description if that didn't make sense.

If you assume that cog thickness and spacing are the same for every cog on their respective systems, which I think is a valid assumption, the difference at the top is the maximum misalignment. The appearance that the middle cogs are more misaligned than the ones at the top is an illusion.

It looks like the maximum misalignment is less than the thickness of a cog.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

It's still better to get a micrometer and measure the cogs and spacers, or groups of cogs. That's what I did, to verify the Campy cog spacing.

edesigner

by edesigner

bikedoc wrote:dont look the same to me, the one on the left is taller and as you go towards the middle of the block its more obvious, 4th down is a big difference. Also the cog width looks thiner on the right.

I took the pic and brought it into photoshop and used the guides. They are pretty close.

I wonder what this spells for SRAM's next upgrade. It would seem a no brainer to try to tweak their shifters to work with both.

Sam

by Sam

Great! Compatibility all over.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Some of you have alluded to this, but how exciting is this compatibility for one reason: if sram introduces 11 speed in the future, it is possible that all new 11s wheels from the big 3 would be interchangeable.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Who cares Tiso 12 speed rocks :lol:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Guys I need help. I have tried this over and over I just can't make the Campy SR11 speed Cassette/Wheel shift as well as my Dura Ace 11 speed Cassette/Wheel. Bothare new cassettes and a new chain. Shifts are maybe 60-70% as clean. No where near 90% as a previous post stated.

system787

by system787

Are you centering your derailleur on the 6th cog? that way your shifts will only be off 5 cogs in either direction, as stated earlier in this thread.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Yes. It is centered dead straight on the 6th cog. It just won't shift all that well. If I put the Shimano wheel back on the bike and adjust the derailor it's spot on! I know some of you are asking "why don't I just keep the Shimano wheel on the bike and forget about the campy wheel? I have two sets of very nice, light weight wheels in campy flavor (Dash and Tune). The Shimano 11 speed free hubs are not available at this time. And maybe never will. Therefore, it would be great if I could use my existing campy 11 speed equipment.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If the wheels already fit Campag 11, you should check with the hub manufacturers for their Shimano 11 freehubs and retrofitting them. The overall stack height of the Campag 11 is not less than that of the Shimano 11, so, they should be interchangeable/swappable if the Shimano 11 freehubs are available.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Dash and Tune have both told me they do not have a Shimano 11 speed free hub available for sale to the public yet. Tune sent me an email stating they were anticipating Feb/March 2013. My current/only Shimano 11 speed wheel is a Powertap G3/Enve 45 with a Shimano 11 speed freehub. This wheel combined with the Shimano Dura Ace 11 speed cassette shifts absolutely perfect!!! If I could get my campy SR11 cassette/wheels to shift 80% as good would be great.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I played around a little more yesterday. Bottom line is the shifts take longer. I seems to take a little longer for the chain to settle down correctly on the Campy SR11 Cassette. My local mechanic thinks its more related to the tooth shape/profile of the Campy SR11 cassette. The shifts with the complete Shimano 9000 11 speed system are faster and cleaner. Do you guys think the shifting would improve with a Shimano 11 speed chain rather than the existing KMC 11 speed chain?

system787

by system787

I wonder if using the thinnest chain would make it any better. Of the 3 11 speed chain brands, which one is thinnest?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I'd say a Campag 11spd would be the best bet as it's designed for the sprockets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com