Mechanical groupset on Di2 CAAD10 Black

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roark

by Roark

Hi weenies

The new CAAD10 Black Inc comes with a shiny (and bulky!) Ultegra Di2. I like the frame but I was wondering whether I could mount a mechanical groupset onto it in case I get tired of Ultegra Di2 in the future...

Any feedback welcome!

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

It appears to lack gear cable stops, so not easily.

Roark

by Roark

I'm sure there are plenty of people riding a Black Inc in this forum! : )

spytech

by spytech

it all depends how well you can weld. no cable stops, no go. the DI2 cable comes in on the top tube, but their are no mech. stops. i would not buy it if your thinking your going back to mech. they do make frames that are compatible with both, it has been mentioned on the forum; though this, is not one of them.

Roark

by Roark

Damn! The frame is super sexy but it seems like a HUGE drawback to me...

Dammit

by Dammit

I bet you $50 that you won't want to go back to mechanical after you've ridden Di2, so it shouldn't be an issue.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:lol:

I can count at least 5 people who went from Di2 (Dura-Ace!) to mechanical (either Dura-Ace, Campagnolo, and one SRAM switch)

So that's, what, $250?
Paypal me, son, or stop thinking that everyone thinks the same as you or has the same values. There's 7 Billion opportunities to prove you wrong. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

^^ like!

just get a cabled frame from your dealer, they're available in many markets.

If you don't like the colour, have it stripped or powder coated. These frames are so cheap and good (and have few warranty issues) that destroying your warranty isn't much of an issue.
Last edited by Tokyo Drifter on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spytech

by spytech

prendrefeu wrote::lol:

I can count at least 5 people who went from Di2 (Dura-Ace!) to mechanical (either Dura-Ace, Campagnolo, and one SRAM switch)

So that's, what, $250?
Paypal me, son, or stop thinking that everyone thinks the same as you or has the same values. There's 7 Billion opportunities to prove you wrong. :wink:

Why did they go back to mech.? just asking.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I only know the reasons behind 3 of the guys, the other two I haven't asked why.
So of the three I do know:
-One did not like that he had to take it into the shop to fix, he preferred the ability to fix at home in his home workshop. Apparently his system had some failure of some type that couldn't be fixed with a few buttons. :noidea:
-The other two guys switched because of ghost shifts and wanting to feel like they were one with the bike, "not a machine"

Not sure what the reason was behind the last two of the 5 I know. But none of these guys are WW types, and two of them are under 30yrs of age.

7 Billion possibilities out there, no? :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spytech

by spytech

I havent experienced the ghost shift's, then again, i do not have much seat time on Di2; i do want to make the transition. i do understand about servicing it yourself at home - i guess in that case the campy eps is home serviceable?

by 252002

you could also find a 2012 CAAD10 1 frame, black anodized. i just picked one up to replace my 2012 CAAD10 5 bbq frame.

asv

by asv

Shimano has USB adapter for home service / updates.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

not really worth getting a software kit unless you have a lot of bikes or are an anorak.

I went back to mechanical because I didn't like Di2. Have tried EPS etc too and honestly just prefer 7900. Actually I prefer 7800 and record-10, but I also can't be bothered building bikes from scratch for the sake of lever shape and shifter feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I prefer 7800 too.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.