Switching SRM PC7 Between 2 PM's? Problem w/Training Peaks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

baldkingpin

by baldkingpin

Is switching an SRM PC7 between PM's on different bikes simply a matter of pairing the PC with the PM each time you switch? Long story, but in the next few months, I may end up with a Dura Ace PM on one bike and a Cannondale SRM, both wireless, on another. I assume it's simple, but want to confirm and couldn't find anything on the SRM site, ww, etc.

Also, the PM's would have different slopes, but I assume the pairing would account for that in terms of the PC7 receiving info. However, would there be any problem using Training Peaks if switching back and forth occasionally? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

What you describe shouldn't be a problem. The only hiccup may come if you re-calibrate the powermeters and the measured slope differs from the original slope that is transmitted by the pm. You will then have to manually adjust the slope in the pc7 each time you switch between bikes, or do it with the software before or after recording the ride.

Geoff

by Geoff

My personal recommendation is to turn-off the 'automatic' function of the PC7. I am not convinced that the 'bugs' are out of it yet. Rather, I recommend that you manually input slope, as in previous editions. You will be guaranteed to have no problems then.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Geoff wrote:My personal recommendation is to turn-off the 'automatic' function of the PC7. I am not convinced that the 'bugs' are out of it yet. Rather, I recommend that you manually input slope, as in previous editions. You will be guaranteed to have no problems then.

digging up an old thread, but i wonder what these referenced bugs are.

i've been using a garmin device to update the slope in multiple SRMs (it's very convenient when you discovered the slope does not match what is set at the factory--thus, you don't have to remember (a) what the slope should be and (b) to make the change before every ride.

the power meter itself can store this value and transmit it back to the head unit. before i used this method, i found that no matter how careful i was, i did not always remember to switch the slope when riding a different bike, and this resulted in some funky situations.

Geoff

by Geoff

Try it and you'll see what I mean. As you are doing your workouts, the wattage sometimes just 'looks' and 'feels' wrong (high or low). The other 'problem' is that the slope of the PowerMeter is set at the factory when it is built. When you re-calibrate over the years, the 'original' slope is still set in the PowerMeter. If you choose the automatic slope detector, it will choose the old slope. In order to avoid that (and be 100% sure), you can hard-key the slope.