Enve XC carbon tubulars (size 26 - 559mm)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wallacio

by wallacio

Hi WW bros,

I have purchased a Enve XC carbon tubular wheelset. The outer width of the tubular rims is 24mm, so is it ok to glue 22mm tubular tires on them for road use? As long as it is functional then I will go for it.

Thanks for your advice!!!

Wallace

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Think it will be hard. My AX-Lightness rims are 25,5mm and the 22 or if it's 23mm Conti Sprinter that is on now doesn't fit at all. Don't follow the shallow rim so I wouldn't ride with them. Have them just for protecting the rims while waiting for parts.

Geoff

by Geoff

The MTB tubular rims are designed with a 'flatter' rim bed than road rims, as the diameter of the tire is typically larger. Accordingly, if you try to glue a 650c road tire, the rim profile will not match the profile of the basetape well and will not provide an adequate gluing surface (kind of the opposite of my first MTB tubular attempt with a Zipp 650c TT rim and a Dugast MTB tubular).

tetonrider

by tetonrider

i know enve has found that many people using their XC 29er tubular rims are doing so for cyclocross, which presumably means 700x32-34 tires. that's still a far cry from 700x22, and as geoff notes the shape of the base tape is unlikely to inherently match the shape of the rim. that would be a concern for me.

(i realize you are talking about 26" wheels, but i think the same principal applies.)

let us know how it turns out if you try it.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

This sounds like it would be very difficult to do. Getting the tire to sit evenly in that rim bed would be tough.