Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dog

by dog

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I don't see anything abnormal on those pics. What you see are indentations left from what looks like Velox rim tape, other than that?
If by "popping" you mean popping sounds during the inflation process then that's pretty norma; too, it's the tube seating itself inside the envelope.

Ciao, ;)

Meneer,
Yes these look like indentations and there are repetitive circular ones too along the center. But would such indentations become permanent in the tube? The tube was used very briefly.
The popping I'm referring to is small bubbles forming in the tube (as in bubble-gum) then going "pop", hole in the tube. Happened twice already on this tube.
I noticed another bubble forming when I tried to inflate the tube outside of its envelope (tyre). What are your and other peoples' experiences with this? I was saving my latex tubes for a better day and ended not using them for years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Meneer De Hond, :P

Given time and pressure yes, these marks would become permanent with latex inner tubes such as Michelins.
This would not happen with a more old fashioned unpigmented latex inner tube but it's not something I would lose sleep over.
I don't use those coloured ones anyway as I find the unpigmented ones to be more comfy and lighter too.

The popping I'm referring to is small bubbles forming in the tube (as in bubble-gum) then going "pop", hole in the tube. Happened twice already on this tube.
I noticed another bubble forming when I tried to inflate the tube outside of its envelope (tyre). What are your and other peoples' experiences with this? I was saving my latex tubes for a better day and ended not using them for years.

Get yourself some bubble gum instead..... :lol:
Seriously though, you should never, NEVER, inflate latex inner tubes outside their envelope. They can't be manufactured with even wall thickness throughout the product and even though the material can stretch to up to 9x its uniflated state the unevenness will make certain spots look like a frog's cheeks whilst kokakking....
Untill it goes kaboum. :shock: :?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dog

by dog

Thank you for this post.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

fdegrove wrote:butylized latex

what is that supposed to mean? Latex with a butyl coating?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's what it boils down to, yes. Nothing new really, the process was invented by A. Boule (AIR-B) to render latex inner tubes more airtight and still keep much of latex's advantages.

Similar processes are used in tubeless tyres, tubeless tubular tyres etc.

Going by looks alone the Panarcer look as if the butyl is on the outer side of the inner tube whereas the AIR-B inner tubes use the technique the other way round.

Ciao, ;)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

My new 60mm Vredestein latex tubes are barely long enough to poke out of my Reynolds 46mm rims. My pump head can barely register enough grip; ends up slowly migrating off the valve core when pumping. The Vredesteins are a real pain the rear. Argh!

Challenge latex, 60mm - measures 60mm from the base of the valve to just below the valve core.
Vredestein latex, 60mm - measures 60mm from end to end, making it effectively ~5-10mm shorter than the Challenge 60mm tube.

So, who makes the lightest valve extenders OR where can I get more 60mm Challenge latex tubes?!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62246&hilit=lightest+valve+extenders

nickf

by nickf

Got my first flat since switching to verds. I can report they patch just fine with a piece of old mich tube and glue. Many miles and no problems. Verds+Veloflex 23= carpet ride. Can't believe how well my caad9 rides with this combo.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Correctly installing ZIPP valve extenders was an exercise in near futility this afternoon. It should've been straight forward per the youtube vids, but it was one irritating mis-step after another compounded by a general lack of compassion from the valve extenders themselves. I was clearly doing it wrong ... the tube would hold air and the valve worked great until I put on the extender. I'd take it off and it'd work great. Rinse, repeat. What a freaking PITA! It went so great that my wife just about signed me up for anger mgmt classes.

I'm grudgingly sticking with the "almost 60mm" Vredesteins for now and bummed out about losing $20 on two extenders and another $30 potentially from the two tubes I fooled around with. Should've just bought new tubes with proper length valve stems...

So, where can I find latex tubes that are long enough to fit Reynolds' 46mm rims? No Michelin. My preference is Challenge, but am somewhat open-minded.

tommasini

by tommasini

Were you losing air during inflation - if yes, did you use plumbers tape on the valve stem threads that engage with the valve extender?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Yeah, I used the tape. I initially used too much so the valve core wasn't sliding and then got it figured out better. I think I wrecked the first valve core upon removal, so I didn't exactly dominate straight out of the gates. The first tube with extender installed didn't take any air. Then then next one leaked at the extender or core Then my pump cylinder loosened up so it wasn't pumping air, which took me more time to figure out. It clearly wasn't my day... Thanks for trying to help!

Anyone know what's the deal with Challenge?! They seemed to get a bad wrap lately, so I'm wondering if Challenge stopped production to address it? Then again, maybe the 60mm version is just plain old back ordered since there's plenty of 47mm versions available.

sancho3000

by sancho3000

Just had my first experience with Vredestein latex tubes and thought I'd share. I got the 40mm versions and they weighed in at 47g, which is pretty impressive in my book. What sucked though, were the valve cores. They just didn't work properly, both when pumping air in and when trying to push the air out. Replaced them both with valve cores from other tubes that I had lying around..

Not sure if that's a common problem or I got my tubes from a bad patch.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Not sure if that's a common problem or I got my tubes from a bad patch.

Not sure where the problem originated but rest assured, it is not typical of these inner tubes. Fortunately valve cores are easily replaced.

Ciao, ;)

nayr497

by nayr497

Last year I decided to try out latex tubes and the installation was not easy, even managed to pinch one of the tubes (Michelin) when inflating. I guess I didn't check well enough to make sure it was seated.

I have had some Vredestein tubes on hand for a few weeks, but dreaded installing them after my first experience.

Well, was able to install four of them (on two different bikes) in no time. Not sure if my technique has improved, if these tubes are easier to work with than Michelin, or I just got lucky with rim/tube/tire combinations. They went in just as easily as butyl tubes.

- put 2 Vred tubes into Veloflex Pave tires on Ksyrium SL rims. Went right in.
- put 2 Vred tubes into Vittoria Evo Corsa tires on Open Prom rims. Went right in.

Can't wait to get some riding in on them!

One question - the Ksyrium rims don't necessitate rim tape. I did cover the valve opening with a small piece of cloth rim tape to prevent rubbing of the tubes. When using latex tubes though is there a need to use rim tape on these wheels?
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

When using latex tubes though is there a need to use rim tape on these wheels?

Nope, there is not but you did well taking precautions around the stem area.

I confirm your experience with Michelin's latex inner tubes. These are easily pinched besides being oddly sized. They tend to bunch up somehow suggesting they're too long for a 700C rim.

Pretty sure you'll just love the Vreds though. :thumbup:

Ciao, ;)

nayr497

by nayr497

Good to know about the rim tape.

Yes, the Michelin tubes I have are clearly bigger than the Vredestein when uninflated. The Michelins might be better for a larger tire but my Vredestein tubes fit better in 23 mm Veloflex tires.

My Vreds are labeled 700x20/25. Has anyone tried them in 25s? I might try out some 25mm Veloflex Masters/Records on my steel cruisin' bike.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com