Cane Creek AER headset ????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1spd

by 1spd

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new headset in the next month and of course want to shed a little bit of weight while I'm at it. My initial thought was the Tune BoBo but then saw the Cane Creek AER. I have a steel Pinella that uses a standard 1 1/8th headset. I'm just trying to find out if the CC AER will work. I see they have one that is a zero stack and it says 1 1/8th but I would hate to order the wrong thing.

Here are a couple of the links I found when doing a Google search for them:

http://www.glorycycles.com/cacraerhe.ht ... 4Aod43IALA

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1459 ... 4AodrXwAIQ

I am assuming that I would want the traditional 1 1/8th aheadset style correct???

It says that they are good for up to 450 hrs of riding which means it should last me a good year or so w/ no problems. Anyone have experience with these?
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I hate to be the jerk who says "search" but a number of people here have had them and reported their experiences.

1spd

by 1spd

No worries, just got excited about the weight reduction. Sounds like there is a fine line between too tight and too loose. Knowing my limited amount of patients, perhaps this isn't the headset for me. The weight loss would be great but I don't think I'm interested in not having a true set of bearings (upper and lower). For a few extra $ I might as well for for the Tune or an Extra lite
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

artray

by artray

I have a AER on my Trek and no issues at all .It works fine. Its not that hard to set up. Lowest stack hight and low low weight works great . Im 84kg and ride a lot out of the saddle .

teleguy57

by teleguy57

1spd, PM sent re: an AER external/conventional headset I have available.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Get yourself an Extralite headset. Will last much longer and is same weight or lighter. An alternative would be a KCNC headset. The AER got some pretty bad reviews here: search.

CaneCreekGary

by CaneCreekGary

Hi 1spd, thought i'd pop in and shed a little more light on the AER for you! There is a model available for your frame, it's the AER-EC34/30. There have actually been some recent improvements to the AER design, which make it more reliable and easier to set up. First is a change in the upper bearing design, the Norglide bushing has been redesigned with a different backing and is now thinner and lighter than the first generation. At the same time it the new backing makes it stiffer, so it sets up easier and has a longer wear time. We are using a new comp-coat on the surface of the bearing interface which allows for an even smoother running headset. Finally we changed the design to allow for a drop in bearing to be used in place of the Norglide assembly. This allows for the headset to run with traditional cartridge bearings while retaining the look of the AER, and retaining some of the weight savings inherent to the cup design. However more importantly it allows for a quick repair in a pinch if another AER-Norglide bearing is not available. Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to call us here at Cane Creek during working hours mon- fri at 800-234-2725.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I have several thousand miles on my AER headset on my Trek build. Initial setup was simple, needed a little adjustment after the first few rides and has been worry free ever since. The weight is nice too :P