H Plus Son Archetype Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nspace

by nspace

Thanks to all who posted photos of the brake surface!

verycreativeusername wrote:Now that they are 470g, there is really no reason to buy these over the Kinlin XC-279 (BHS c472w) is there (apart from the finish)?

I kind of thought the same. Same thing with the Alpha 340. Now that they are up to 380g, why spend $100 per rim when you could get a Kinlin XR200 for less than half the cost for a 5g weight increase. I guess if the quality is truly better than there is an argument there.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

nspace wrote:I kind of thought the same. Same thing with the Alpha 340. Now that they are up to 380g, why spend $100 per rim when you could get a Kinlin XR200 for less than half the cost for a 5g weight increase.

you supposedly get a better tyre profile with the Stans rim, how much thats worth to you IDK
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roundabout

by Roundabout

Two 60-65kg teammates of mine trashed Alpha rims well before the end of their first season. I would not build up a set with em.

I thought about archetypes but went with the new musa A23's. Built up quite solidly to WI and have very nice road feel and build quality seems higher than past velocity efforts. I've been out of the country since August but looks like the price on A23 has gone up with the release of all the colors. Seeing as my warranty frame is black and my wheels are silver, I may build up a set of Archetypes for matchy-matchy / comparison's sake.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

nspace wrote:Thanks to all who posted photos of the brake surface!

verycreativeusername wrote:Now that they are 470g, there is really no reason to buy these over the Kinlin XC-279 (BHS c472w) is there (apart from the finish)?

I kind of thought the same. Same thing with the Alpha 340. Now that they are up to 380g, why spend $100 per rim when you could get a Kinlin XR200 for less than half the cost for a 5g weight increase. I guess if the quality is truly better than there is an argument there.

I think that the rim bed on the 340 is slightly nicer than the 200, but both are decent rims.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

nspace wrote:Same thing with the Alpha 340. Now that they are up to 380g, why spend $100 per rim when you could get a Kinlin XR200 for less than half the cost for a 5g weight increase. I guess if the quality is truly better than there is an argument there.

The 340 is definitely stiffer, the tire profile on them is wider and rounder than any clincher rim I know of (and that includes 23mm wide rims), they are offset drilled, and welded. Considering how much material they added to the rim bed, I think they will be durable... in that location at least.
formerly rruff...

sbh1973

by sbh1973

I'm wondering what others are getting for an ERD on the Archetype. I'm coming out with 595-596 on the latest batch, which is quite a bit higher than the manufacturer's stated ERD.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I got two recently that weigh 476g and the ERD is ~592.5mm.

I'm using Wheelsmith aluminum nipples, with the end of the spoke right at the beginning of the slot (not the end of the nipple).
formerly rruff...

bricky21

by bricky21

rruff, is the spoke at the slot in the nipple rather than the end to allow for spoke stretch when your building the wheel?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

I'm interested in getting some new wheels built up and had been considering the Archetype, however now the Kinlin XC-279 rim interests me, does anyone know who stocks this rim in the UK?

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I've just built up two 20/24 sets and I used the manufacturer's stated ERD of 591 - foolish I know, but I was in a hurry to buy my spokes. :oops:

The spokes are definitely around 1-2mm shorter than ideal, but I think I'm ok as I'm using brass nipples.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

bricky21 wrote:rruff, is the spoke at the slot in the nipple rather than the end to allow for spoke stretch when your building the wheel?

Yes. Spoke and rim distortion mainly.
formerly rruff...

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

Just looking at their website I think the current stated ERD is 595 (http://hplusson.com/products/archetype). Perhaps it's changed? I've just ordered some, so will put up the measurements when they arrive.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Yes, that page said 591 just a few days ago. :?

racingcondor

by racingcondor

That would make sense though since the new version is heavier due to a thicker rim bed. It's a large increase but an increase would seem reasonable.

Old 450g rim ERD 591
New 475g rim ERD 595

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

As far as I can tell my 20h rims (441/458g) must be the old one whilst my 24h ones (477/480g) are the new one. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com