Pinarello Stelvio : Recycled

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KopiC

by KopiC

Picked up a 2nd/3rd hand Pinarello Stelvio Steel.
Paintwork was still fairly good with only a couple of nicks.
Surprised it came with a threadless fork as everything else I saw from that time were threaded.
Perhaps round late 96 ~ 98 period when threadless stems started taking off and telekom team were using Pina dynas with 3T threadless.

Frame: 53cm Pinarello Stelvio (Deddaccai Kens)
Groupset: Campagnolo Record
Wheelset: Neutron Ultra
Tyres: Veloflex 700x23
Saddle: San Marco Concor
Headset: Record threadless (bottom cups were swapped from record threaded as I did not fancy the black rubber band)
Seatpost: '96 round record alu seatpost

VO Tall Stack stem (Ti bolts and Ti top cap)

Campagnolo Record Steel QR (cut out)

Compromised:
1. PRO PLT ice grey handlebar from my parts bin :oops: (hard to find a nice 31.8 silver italian bar)
was this or a simple black Deda RHM01.
2. ULtegra SPD SL carbon pedals. ('fraid these will have to stay)

Looking:
1. Cinelli Nerve 42cm 26.0 handlebar to mate with a Grammo stem in waiting
2. Campagnolo titanium seatpost or C-record aero would be nice

As nice as the cut-out is at the BB showing the hirth joint....I'm not sure how much this will be an issue

KopiC
Last edited by KopiC on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

You can do what we used to do with those framesets, tape over the cut-out with duct tape. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

very nice, I particularly like your choice of stem. I'd recommend getting some period silver rimmed Campag wheels (proton, neutron, electron) or maybe just take off the wheel stickers as the wheels back then were a bit soft compared with what people like to ride today.

KopiC

by KopiC

mrfish wrote:very nice, I particularly like your choice of stem. I'd recommend getting some period silver rimmed Campag wheels (proton, neutron, electron) or maybe just take off the wheel stickers as the wheels back then were a bit soft compared with what people like to ride today.

Was actually looking at building up a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis tubular (they're not silver though) sometime next year cos I never ever had the experience of riding a pair despite reading a ton of good things written bout them. Will have to search for the record silver hubs although I think the chorus ones will be easier to find and at a reasonable $$.

LouisN

by LouisN

Classy beauty, with modern touch :beerchug:

Louis :)

michel2

by michel2

Lovely, if you could only run this with the older silver shammals ! I suppose there not 11 speed compatible !(;

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

mrfish wrote:very nice, I particularly like your choice of stem. I'd recommend getting some period silver rimmed Campag wheels (proton, neutron, electron) or maybe just take off the wheel stickers as the wheels back then were a bit soft compared with what people like to ride today.

My sentiments exactly.

I like how the stem looks on a vintage frame (have the same one on my Renovo). The Cinelli Grammo is one of my favourite stems, but to get the same stack height would require an ugly amount of spacers.

Lots of people here are a big fan of the Record/Nemesis wheels, but for Pinarello frame I prefer the older style Campagnolo wheels (Proton, Neutron, Electron). They were pretty durable, so you should have no trouble finding a pair in good shape.

KopiC

by KopiC

Thanks for the comments on the stem. Lucky to have a choice. 2 years ago and this option would not have been as readily available at all. Inexpensive, 17degree to fit traditional bikes and no need for spacers.

For a 2nd hand bike, I was fortunate as it had just enough steerer tube to install the stem safely. It is nice to know that there are people who bothered to design and have these made given that it is a really small market demand for these.

I chose the VO stem as I liked the understated logo compared to the similar stem below.

I'll mull over the wheel options but am inclined heavily to get a pair of good tubulars.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have the Geneteic AQ stem. I was hoping that the logo would rub off with aceton, but unfortunately it didn't. That said, on the bike you can hardly see the logo at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com