Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

munk93

by munk93

What about Enve. I couldn't figure out the diameter, but in the pic, it's tapered.
http://www.enve.com/forks/road-disc.aspx

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

It would be perfect, but it's 1 1/2. I contacted them and they actualy already made also 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 for Parlee Z-zero, but it won't be on the market anytime soon. The best way would be to wait for them, and unfortunately maybe I'll really have to wait. I don't have to rush, but it would be nice to try something new. I won't start with a road disc project before I have a fork in my hands.

Most probably I'll have access to an autoclave next year and that's basicly the only thing that I have to improve (at this moment I use vacuum baging + oven). Till then I'll test my frame as good as possible and maybe finally start also with the production. As it looks at this moment not for monocoque, but only for tube-to-tube (custom geometry), similar like for example Crumpton makes, only with that difference that also the tubing would be made by myself. But it's hard to promise anything at this moment, but I'll work on it! My aim is also to have some reasonable prices.
Slowly I started with a new interesting project, at this moment only on paper. A tube-to-tube TT frame. I already started to design the tubing, but unfortunately won't share any informations yet. In general my idea is to offer custom made road and TT frames. Also monocoque would be great, but there are quite a lot complications and hard to say if I'll be able to make/get the moulds, of course it also depends a lot from my financial status. The problem by monocoque is also that I would need more moulds in different sizes,..we'll see!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Jure. I love your work as you know and when you have done your TT frame, I would love to chat with you on an AERO ROAD frame that would put both of your designs into one frame. I have a ton of ideas on what I would like on an aero frame.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

1spd

by 1spd

Wow, I spent the past two days reading thru this whole thread! Totally kicks @$$!!! Your work is amazing and I must say that my job sucks compared to being able to do what you do. I also realize that my bike sucks as well now! Beautiful projects.

Looks like I now need to start socking some money aside so I can order up a SLR combo in UD. Might take me a month or two but I am determined to have one by late spring. Will certainly be in contact with you in the future. I tell ya, if it wasn't for Christmas or some of the other crap I just dumped money on for the bike to make it fit me better I would have already done this.

I am also very glad to hear that you have decided to invest the time into starting your company and planning for your future as opposed to racing. You have a great head on your shoulders and are putting out some very well made products. I'm sure your business will continue to grow as there is a huge market for high end and custom carbon bits out there. (Not to mention custom frames)
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Before we know it we will see some Berk Formula 1 cars and McLaren/Redbull/Lotus/Ferrari will be knocking on his door for help!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

:thumbup:
Thanks guys for those positive words! It always makes me happy to see that some of you like my projects

@1spd
Thanks!
Yes slowly I decided to start with it,...although I'm not even 21 years old. But it looks quite promising and I'll for sure keep you updated. Today I had an important meeting and there will be some more meetings in the next few months,..

@BmanX
Thanks! Sure, as long as it's custom geometry I could make also a road frame with it.
Otherwise for next season I'll make some more frames for my friends and it will be the first step forward, to see what would other change/improve and then I'll most probably also start thinking to offer custom made frames.. But step by step. I'll for sure let you know as soon as it will be possible, but can't really promise anything at this moment, I'll give my best and will keep you updated, still a lot of work to do! If possible I'll have some more informations in summer 2013, till then I still have to make some more tests, experiments etc.,...at this moment my main aim is to get an autoclave and start using prepreg carbon.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

A special combo in process.

Already quite a few weeks in process and finally here is a photo that I can share with you, still quite a lot of sanding etc. to do, it's completely rough. An interesting project for me because it's a completely different way how the combo is made because the saddle shape. The weight at the end will be most probably around 160g, depends from the seatpost lenght. It has a "mixed look" - UD seatpost & twill saddle.

As you can see I still have to trim the edges, sand the surfce etc.,..it's wet on the photo only to show you the carbon look.

By the way, I'm sorry for my silence in the past few weeks! I had a lot of other duties and also some very interesting meetings.

Werdna

by Werdna

Simply stunning work here, I am truly envious of your carbon-working skills.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Werdna, thanks! It should be finished in a few days, as soon as I have some more free time.
Just get the resoults from my last exam and I'm really happy that I past! So I'll have some "holidays" in the next few days.

Just came home from a sunny ride with PT5 :). It's 5°C here in Slovenia, and I can't get out of my skin and just went for a ride..I'm used to cycle also when it's quite cold, and this time I really enjoyed a short 2h ride. Here just some (crappy) photos from the ride today:

Just to show you that this bike wasn't made for watching, but for cycling :thumbup:.
Some roads are still wet and there is still some snow around, but I really enjoyed it

1spd

by 1spd

So funny seeing one of your bikes with a run of the mill seat and seat post! Still a lovely bike/build none the less. I'm heading out of the office in 30 minutes to go for a spin. Don't think I'll get 2 hours in but at least I'll be out of the office!

munk93

by munk93

Strugling to get my schoolproject done for tomorrow also. But still a lot of time for cycling. I've been on the bike for 10 hours since monday morning.
Again, your bike is truly amazing. And I love when people use their bikes in all weather. And they don't care if it gets a little dirty. :thumbup:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I also found it funny/ironic that you don't have a Berk combo saddle post on your bike. You should have a talk with that guy, maybe he'll give you a good deal! ;-)

BmanX

by BmanX

You guys do read all of Berk's comments right. He has addressed this several times.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

1spd

by 1spd

Yes, I have! I just couldn't help but to make the comment because I found it funny.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi guys, well as BmanX said, read the previous posts :thumbup:

I have to admit that I'm really very busy these months. Still some products in proces that were ordered already weeks ago (!) and I first have to finish these.

Otherwise I can't use my old combo for this build because it's 31.6mm, and on this frame it's 27.2mm. So I have to make a new one. I know that it looks funny that I don't use my "most important" product, but the answer is simple, I just didn't managed to make it yet. And unfortunately also some cyclists are waiting for me for their products.

I already made the tube and the saddle shell for my combo weeks ago, but didn't bonded it yet, and after that still some more work to do..but mention that some customers are still waiting for me and they are on the first place!
When I have some free time, for myself (not in the workshop), I just "have to" go out, in our mountains or something, or of course spend some time with my girlfriend..beside that I also have a lot of important meetings these days..and I'm a student and also have to study, on Monday I just had one of the hardest exams this year and get the resoults today and made it with 90%, I'm very happy, and probably most of you know that it takes some time to learn (mechanical engineering)

In general, yes it's funny that I don't have my own combo :mrgreen: but as I wrote, unfortunately didn't managed yet to make it and hey, it's winter, and I can be happy that I can go on my bike, because usually we have quite cold and snow..so I also didn't thought that I would need it right now. But don't worry, I'll make one also for myself :beerchug:

munk93 wrote:And I love when people use their bikes in all weather. And they don't care if it gets a little dirty

I'm for sure one of these! :thumbup: But of course I start every ride with a clean bike. That was a rule in our team (!) and I think that it's the only right way