Climbers' leg length ratios

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

I keep hearing everywhere that there is some 'ideal' leg length ratio for how long your thighs are in relation to calves. Does anyone know of any numbers/figures to go with this statement?
I would like to to build up on my climbing ability and this is just to see if it's worth concentrating on climbing, and not a dicipline more suited to my body type such as time trialling for example.
My height is 5 foot 11 inches and my inside leg is 33 inches (14" perineum to knee, 19" knee to floor - about 1:1.4 ratio) so also fairly long bodied.

I don't know much about what makes a great climber beyond low body mass and the odd contaminated steak, so will someone please help me out :noidea: ? Many thanks for reading.
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Why not just do the one you enjoy?

Unless you're a pro why be hung up on what your "genetic" proportions are bedtime suited to? You may be best suited for water polo, does that mean you'll give up cycling?

In actual answer to your question it is more about power to weight ratio. Some achieve this in spite of their morphology and not because of it.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Climbing is all about power to weight ratio and how big your engine is. If you have not already been approached with a pro contract I would not worry about it. And if you ever are approached with a pro contract, you will never have to worry anyway because the team will have people called coaches to figure out what is best for you. Go out and ride for the fun of it and enjoy what you do.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Even if your morphology is more suited to something other than climbing, working on it can be no bad thing. I'm certainly not a climber but I still work on it to keep pace on my club runs, if anything it's even more of a reason to work on it as it's a weakness I have.

Also, what's not to say you can't be multi-disciplined, whilst the Schleck's may not be a good example, contaminated steak or not, Contador can climb and TT as well.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

thanks for your responses, I'll just keep training normally then. i'm only 16 so no pro teams have approached me just yet!
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

mattyb95 wrote:contaminated steak or not, Contador can climb and TT as well.

https://twitter.com/CadelOfficial/statu ... 4411987968

veiled reference to "something".

shjames96

by shjames96

If you're only 16 I would just focus on being the best all around rider you can be. To win on climbs you obviously have to be great at climbing, but generally you also have to be strong on the flats to make it too the climb near the front with lots of energy left and/or keep up the effort past the climb. The same with how good sprinters have to make it over the climbs to get be able to sprint (unless it's on the track).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com