Shimano DA 9000 11sp - any compatibility with Campag 11sp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

There was a rumour pre-release that 11sp Shimano had the same spacing as Campag 11s. It would be useful to get some actual measurements.

lovej wrote:I have used a campy 11 speed wheel in my 9000. shifting is 95% of the shimano setup.

I assume that was using a Shimano chain? Shifting may even improve with a KMC or Campag chain.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I swapped out the Shimano 11 speed wheel for the Campy 11 speed wheel last night. The shifting was substandard. I would say it was less than 50% with the Shimano Wheel. I tired adjusting the cable tension but no impriovement. Not that I really expected it to help much but I was anxious to find some compatability with my exsting stock of Campy Wheels. By the way I am using a KMC 11 speed chain. The cassette is a Campy SR11 11/25.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

mnmasotto wrote:I swapped out the Shimano 11 speed wheel for the Campy 11 speed wheel last night. The shifting was substandard.

Did you determine *why*? Anytime you swap a wheel the alignment is likely to be off. If the two have the same spacing there is no reason it shouldn't shift perfectly, if it is properly adjusted.
formerly rruff...

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Give me some ideas about what to adjust. I played around with it for about two hours but never seemed to get it to shift correctly. The limit screws were easy to adjust. The wheels was tight and aligned in the frame correctly. The KMC chain and Campy SR 11 cassette are both fairly new. I do not know what else to do.

sedluk

by sedluk

It is my understanding that the Campy 11 chain is a little thinner in some way than a Shimano chain. I am not sure about this, if true then it would be interesting to see if shifting is perfect with Praxis rings in the front, Campy 11 chain and Campy 11 cassette in the back. I would suspect that this would be a popular setup if it works.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

mnmasotto wrote:Give me some ideas about what to adjust.

Give me an idea of what is wrong...?

Adjust the limit screws to the proper range, and use the barrel to line up the gears.
formerly rruff...

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

WMW wrote:
mnmasotto wrote:Give me some ideas about what to adjust.

Give me an idea of what is wrong...?

Adjust the limit screws to the proper range, and use the barrel to line up the gears.

I tried that but could never get it to shift all that well. I will try again but with a different Campy SR cassette.

eric

by eric

Try using the barrel adjuster to adjust the chain so it's centered on the second to smallest cog. View the aligment from behind to make sure. Then shift up the cassette. If the spacing is off, the shifting should get worse as you go to the larger cogs. You can inspect the chain alignment from behind to see if it's off and which way it is off.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Eric,
Thanks for the detailed tips. I will try again this evening. I just got off the phone with the guys at Fairwheels Bikes. They think it should work OK. Again, not as good as the standard 11 speed Shimano Cassette but close.

lovej

by lovej

lovej wrote:I have used a campy 11 speed wheel in my 9000. shifting is 95% of the shimano setup.

I assume that was using a Shimano chain? Shifting may even improve with a KMC or Campag chain.[/quote]

DA chain.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

It is my understanding that the Campy 11 chain is a little thinner in some way than a Shimano chain. I am not sure about this, if true then it would be interesting to see if shifting is perfect with Praxis rings in the front, Campy 11 chain and Campy 11 cassette in the back. I would suspect that this would be a popular setup if it works.

Been on Praxis rings for over a year on Campy 11 speed chain. Works perfect never any problems. It's 98% as good as stock Campy rings. The Campy rings shift up a little smoother. If you never have used the stock rings you would never know.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I just installed Praxis works on my Power2Max/Rotor3D+ crank and the rest is Campy 11s. I'm super impressed with the front shifting quality. It's spot on and smooth and it just takes a little longer for the chain to complete the change to the big ring. I'm using a chorus 11 chain. I couldn't be more happy since a perfect shift is very important for me.

LAN

by LAN

DaveS wrote:Campy spacing is 3.8mm, not 3.85mm. The cogs are 1.6mm and the spacers are 2.2mm. Of course those are the nominal dimensions and all parts have an allowable tolerance, that results in small variations.

You'll get more accurate results measuring the individual parts, or a riveted together group, rather than a whole cassette.

If Shimano 11 spacing is 3.8mm, then the match should be as perfect as possible, with Campy.

According to Sheldon Brown´s site the total height of the Campa 11-speed cassette is 40,1mm

That leads to 40,1mm - 1,6mm = 38,5mm / 10 = 3,85mm

But anyway if it´s 3,8mm or 3,85 it should work good. Adjust it perfect for the 6th cog and the difference will at most lead to 0,25mm at the 1st or 11th cog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikedoc

by bikedoc

dont look the same to me, the one on the left is taller and as you go towards the middle of the block its more obvious, 4th down is a big difference. Also the cog width looks thiner on the right.