Powerful mini pump required

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

konky

by konky

I'm getting sick of ending up with 60psi or less in my tyres follwing a puncture and fitting a new inner tube on the road.

I want a new mini pump that can give me 80psi or more. Anyone tried the Lezyne micro floor drive mini pump? A tad bulky but should be OK for training. The mini floor pump idea might work well.

Or any other suggestions would be welcome. I may try a CO2 inflator which I've not tried before.

Marzz

by Marzz

I got a Lezyne mini last week. Good for 120 psi apparently.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/L3PUMNNHVXX%20%20S
S-Works Venge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

CO2 or a frame pump is the way to go

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Please do a search on this forum it's been discussed extensively.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

konky

by konky

I am tempted by CO2. The Lzyne carbon road drive ABS looks nice but does it get you anywhere near 100psi? It claims 120psi.

Out of interest does anyone know if there is a difference between that pump and last years model the carbon drive 3 mini ABS pump?

I couldn't possibly have a pump attached to a bike. That's personal preference though.

(I did search 'mini pump' and there's not much in the last year)

Rick

by Rick

The Blackburn Airstick will actually get you there. It will take about 300 pumps, but I have one and it works.
(I carry CO2 as the first line of defense.)

http://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/ai ... MdgAuRIizk

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

The Lezyne road model mini works quite well. Also less likely to damage the valve.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

artray

by artray

I use a tiny Airbone pump . Its less than 4inches long and works really well . Over 100psi.

http://www.airbone.com.tw/ZT702Product.htm
Last edited by artray on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sungod

by sungod

lezyne carbon road drive (medium) gets to 120psi ok

get the add-on pen gauge, you need to check it against a trusted pressure gauge to see how to read it as there're various possible interpretations, it can stick a bit, especially when new, tapping it sharply helps

only downside is the cf doesn't conduct heat well, so the metal end gets extremely hot, especially in summer

lezyne micro floor drive hp will also do 120psi, but is bulkier/heavier, again get the version with the pen gauge

in both cases the hose makes it easier to apply oomph to the pump without such a risk to valve/spokes if you slip

petepeterson

by petepeterson

This is an easy one. Buy a good c02 system and a couple extra ones and practice at home so you are not surprised with you get a flat.

It's easy, quick, light, effortless, etc.....

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

let me continue that for you:

... and wasteful(1), and short-lasting (2), and costly(3), and limited(4)

So therefore mini-pump > C02 pump unless you're in a short (less than 100km) race w/o support.

Footnotes:
1. The amount of energy needed to create each cartridge, fill it with compressed air, ship it to your door all for one use is ridiculous. Only a very small percentage are actually ever recycled, the majority end up in landfills. Those that are recycled for metal content do not simply get re-filled: an entirely new cartridge has to be created for new sales, they are not re-used, along with all the energy needed to make that possible. Using compressed air cartridges is a bit of a 'f*ck you' to the planet when there are better, more intelligent resources available that are efficient, reusable, and longer lasting.
2. C02 leaves the tube faster than normal air mixture. Ever get a flat 100mi in with another 100mi to go? Your best bet is use a mini-pump or pray that someone has a floor pump in your near future.
3. Shit costs money, yo. One mini-pump = $45, years of use and no-limit to the amount of tubes it can pump up. Cartridges are a cost per use (and waste per use)
4. How many cartridges are you willing to carry on an extended ride? What if one releases gas through a poor valve connection? That's one less. A mini-pump is not limited in usage, and it's only one unit you have to carry - not a quantity of units.

Besides - use a mini-pump and give your arms a little exercise, eh? If you're properly fit and a well balanced athlete as you think you should be, getting a TopPeak Micro CF up to 120psi really isn't that big of a deal.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Miller

by Miller

MileHighMark wrote:The Lezyne road model mini works quite well. Also less likely to damage the valve.

I have a Lezyne minipump and it's the best minipump I've used. The hose between pump and valve does indeed isolate the valve from unintended heavyhandedness plus it means the entire length of the barrel can be used for pumping air. Bear in mind that any minipump needs a large number of strokes to get anywhere near 100psi so there is a slight upper body workout there. Accept minipumps as get-you-home devices, not workshop tools for prepping your bike to perfection.

(Good post above re CO2 cartridges!)

konky

by konky

Yes I liked prendrefeu's post also. I just ordered up a Lezyne carbon pressure drive 3 mini pump for £50. There is a limit on how much time one can ponder over a fairly basic item, and my limit is small.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

I also added this to my Lezyne pump. I guess I'm fussy, I like to know my pressure:
http://www.artscyclery.com/Lezyne_Pen_Gauge/descpage-LZPENGUAGE2.html?crumb=RDMACCESS

Scott

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com