650b rims for rim brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm looking for lightweight 650b rims for occasional use with rim brakes.

The idea is to run them on my (disc brake) MTB all year, and then for maybe up to three special trips a year use them on the (650b converted) roadbike with rim brakes and 32mm tyres. There are a few gravel projects I'm looking at, including overseas :-) and as this is part of a travel bike project -- the 650b ought to fit into a big suitcase.

Looking to try a Notubes Crest, because it's so light. Will it shred to pieces with a rim brake 5 days a year?

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

scrap this idea.

the crest will not work. the sidewalls are not vertical like on road rims and they are super thin. so yeah, you probable will *f##k* them in a few days.

I would also recommend against it for touring. Good luck getting a 650 tyre in any kind of remote location. Also, unless your touring/road frame is built for 650s, then the brakes probably won't work. Also, hub spacing will be different, right?

If you can afford to go overseas, as well as experimenting with bizzarre and redundant wheel standards, you can afford to buy a proper light touring bike, which will come with suitable wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Rims are either disc brake rims or rim brake rims. Rim brake ones have the track and disc brake ones are stronger around the spoke holes since braking exerts more force on the eyelets than peddling. You are not going to find a rim that claims to be rated for both as it would be heavier.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm fairly certain that the Notubes ZTR 355 is available in both disc- and rim-brake version. It would be surprising if they were from a different extrusion though. Unfortunately the 355 (leftover stock) doesn't seem to be available for 650b, which I need to meet the "packable" goal.

Edit: Maybe I'll just forgo the experiments and use Velocity Synergies.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Some rim brake rims are just the disc brake rim with the excess machined off to create a braking surface, other are different extrusions.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Apparently the Velocity A23s came out in 650b too, how great is that!
http://www.longleafbicycles.com/2012/04 ... 3-in-650b/
Lighter than the Synergies and a proper brake surface.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Also found out about Pacenti PL23 and VO Diagonale Rims in 650B.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Longleaf has the 28h A23 on sale for $45. Got me a pair -- good things come to those who wait! :D
Now pondering to send them in for a hard-ano treatment.

Also got me a a set of 36h Ambrosio Kebas from XXCycle, they are affordable as well. Pondering which set to get built first ...
For the record, the KEBA allegedly has an ERD of 562mm.

650b A23 ERD is being researched.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Ambrosio KEBA 650b ERD: 562mm (but I have also seen a value of 564 fwiw).
Velocity A23 650b ERD: 564.5mm (according to Anthony of Longleafbicycles, who sells and builds with them).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Got the Kebas built (36h 3x) with DT Revos on vintage XTR hubs, very confidence inspiring. A pic (on the bike) can be seen in the Aluminium Bike Thread.