Losing the last fat

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

yongkun

by yongkun

Perhaps you should try to squeeze in more mileage over the week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

That intermittent fasting idea... There was a really good BBC Horizon documentary on that. It seems to really work for people and has good science, but I seriously doubt, like many people in this thread have said, that it'd be a really bad idea for cyclists like us. It seems to be more for the regular person who does very little exercise to stay healthier for longer throughout their life. Here's the link if you've got an hour or so to kill, I found it very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSh6Ot8d ... D24FB93746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow part 2 and so on...

EDIT: Epic typos. :(

dbecks7

by dbecks7

I currently do the intermitent fasting diet as I am a bodybuilder first and cyclist second. Intermittent fasting is just another way to get in your caloric intake during the day. At the end of the day all that matters is calories in vs. calories out. Use more calories than you intake and you will lose weight its as simple as that. The IF fasting technique is just a way so you can eat more during your eating window than say 6 small meals a day. Its all your own personal preference but IF does not have any more benefit than any other diet. I use it just because I love eating large portions and IF allows me to do that whilst staying under my caloric intake. I would agree its not preferable for cyclists especially if you cycle during the fasted period. Lifting weights fasted is one thing (and I prefer it as I have more energy) but cycling fasted is not a great idea, at the very least a small meal of some sort should be eaten before riding. Maybe just a small bowl of oats, bananna, or something light.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Just remembered something from last year on a danish forum. They talked quite a bit about eating more(500 calories more a day) for 3-4 days, and then go back to having a caloric deficit. Apparantly this would help the body shed some of the weight. The idea behind it is that a lot of cyclists and other endurance athletes have trouble losing weight because the body has addapted to not getting enough calories. So if you raise your intake for a some days the body will adapt to this, and then when you hit the deficit again you will lose weight. Anybody actually have tried this?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

artray

by artray

This really is quite tricky . When I was body building the only way to get ripped was to just eat a bit of tuna or chicken breast and drink black coffee . It makes you feel weak and not the best way to lose that body fat. I do tend to think that some people are just better equiped in the genetics . I used to know another guy who lifted weights and he was always ripped and had the worst diet . He would eat fried food ,chocolate , drink a beer and never put a thing on . You have other people and every time they eat a chocolate bar they might as well rub it straight on there belly. All you can do is try and eat less fat and eat some good energy fat burning foods . I don't really like diets as I think in the long term its not good. Best to eat consistent and enjoy a treat now and again and enjoy life . Im off now for a glass pure opium and a cream cake . :beerchug:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

A friend of mine told me that the best way to loose that last fat is to make a "zig-zag" diet.
For example:
1. day: deficit
2. day: deficit
3. day: suficit
4. day: cover caloric needs
5. day: deficit

.....and so on and on....

It also recommended to cut the junk, sugar, etc... you know.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Intermittent fasting for serious endurance athletes is just a really plain stupid idea, unless appearance is more important than performance. Too many want to look "pro" without wanting to do the work.

KWalker's post in the "bonking on purpose" thread is a good read.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

they say you can lose as much fat as you like before it reaching 4% of your total body mass, where your motabalism begins to break down muscle fibres instead, not good at all! it differs depending on your lifestyle and body type so if you want to get scientific about this, see a sports doctor.
No, I am not trying to sell you something.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I think you'd have a lot more health problems before you get anywhere near 4%.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

dbecks7

by dbecks7

Tapeworm wrote:I think you'd have a lot more health problems before you get anywhere near 4%.

Yeah, 4% is bodybuilding stage competition conditioning

Dalai

by Dalai

Tapeworm wrote:I think you'd have a lot more health problems before you get anywhere near 4%.

Disagree for a sample size of one. I know caliper tests are not the most accurate, but back in my professional climbing days I was between 5-8% for quite a few years with no health issues...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

You are correct - calipers have an error margin not worth mentioning. Hydrostatic or dexascan - anything else is affected by too many variables to be even considered worthwhile.

Dalai

by Dalai

Agreed. But there was no money being a professional climber back then so had no money to afford a Hydrostatic or dexascan. Point I was trying to make was there are numerous elite athletes who can be healthy with very low bodyfat percentages...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I understand what you were getting at Dalai, my point is that without quantitative data most people who we think are really low fat probably aren't that low. A proper 8% body fat would look very cut indeed.

~3-4% is realistically low as a person can go - none can maintain it and remain healthy. Always exceptions to the rule but most pros probably would be in 10% range - or 6% or below using calipers.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

majklnajt wrote:A friend of mine told me that the best way to loose that last fat is to make a "zig-zag" diet.
For example:
1. day: deficit
2. day: deficit
3. day: suficit
4. day: cover caloric needs
5. day: deficit

.....and so on and on....

It also recommended to cut the junk, sugar, etc... you know.

The zig-zag diet is more or less what I was leaning towards. From what I understand you should eat with a deficit something like 4-5 times a week, and then 2-3 days have a surplus of calories. I'm definately going to experiment with this.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com