Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

get a 3t rigida and make a disc brace for it?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

It would be possible, but not safe!

All the disc forks are around 450g or more, standard forks are around 300g. So there is 150g more, and that's with a reason. You really don't want to snap off the fork while braking,.. don't remember where I read that, but I think that Colnago had some problems with their early prototype forks, so they made quite a lot of tests to make it safe. The forces aren't small while you're braking on disc brakes, and mention that the front brake takes most of the forces. And I already repaired rear dropouts that were "pulled out" because the disc brake in the rear, so it's a "no-go" for me to modify a standard fork.

I could modify it without any problem, but if I'm honest I don't want to risk anything. We have some descents here where you can reach also 100km/h, and that's also why I would prefer disc brakes instead of carbon. But of course you can still use ALU rims..but the main idea is to use some light high profile carbon rims with disc brakes - in my opinion it would make sense, also for clincher carbon wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

yeah, I guess then you'd have to either add a lot of reinforcement or use a 1.5 steerer option.

Or use a so-so quality chinese fork and make a reducer crown race on a lathe.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Just a quick update, I wound up buying a St. John Street 700c carbon road disc fork, and while it came to 605g cut to length, it has been a great fork for me, on my old Storck Scenario w/ 72.5 head angle.
I had tried a couple of cyclocross disc forks, but the axle-to-crown was 395mm or so and made the effective head angle too slack. Now with this SJS fork and its standard road 367mm axle-to-crown, the head angle is back to where it should be, and the bike handles great.

This fork is made slightly asymmetric to accomodate the left side caliper. It's super rigid (and better be for that weight). It's also confidence-inspiring to use my disc brake to its full potential, even with road geometry.
I only use a disc on the front, the rear is a regular caliper road brake, because (a) it's a road frame, and (b) I just don't think a disc is needed on the rear.

Short story is that after 2 good rides it has been the best road disc fork I've tried thus far (even though it's the only true road fork I've been able to find). And the price was very reasonable, made it worth the experiment.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for that update! Any photos of your setup? I'm really interested how it looks like, thanks!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Try this:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/9933440/

My bike still dirty from yesterday's ride. And the old caliper & rotor just for setup purposes; I have better parts once I get around to building my special disc wheel w. Extralite HyperFront hub & carbon rim! My front lever is a basic TRP alloy road brake lever.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Im modifying a enve road fork for front disc use. It was a CX fork from beginning so sturdier than a road fork.
I know it will be a completely different load case when moving from bending the legs outward to bending only one leg backwards. I will do approriate reinforcements then paint up to give it a original look.
Experimental Prototype

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Berk wrote:Thanks for that update! Any photos of your setup? I'm really interested how it looks like, thanks!

+1 :mrgreen:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Just saw this today: http://apace-bikes.de/c1rd-carbon-disc- ... -prototyp/

I'm still searching for a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 road disc fork, so if anybody has any new informations what is possible to get please share that information..:thumbup:

As I wrote before Enve won't yet sell their 1 1/4 road disc forks (they only made it for Parlee), Colnago isn't interested to sell only a fork, etc.,..

maxxevv

by maxxevv

This I believe is a FM166, an open mold frameset based on the rather popular FM066. I believe it uses 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" headset.

Oops... its not, but I have seen it somewhere before. Here's the FM166:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Ahh.. here it is, its the FM065

Uses a 1 1/2" lower bearing too.

tharmor

by tharmor

Berk wrote:Just saw this today: http://apace-bikes.de/c1rd-carbon-disc- ... -prototyp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still searching for a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 road disc fork, so if anybody has any new informations what is possible to get please share that information..:thumbup:

As I wrote before Enve won't yet sell their 1 1/4 road disc forks (they only made it for Parlee), Colnago isn't interested to sell only a fork, etc.,..

So, that frame is an oem frame made by HungFu and rebranded by Apace, right?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

As far as I know, Hongfu are not manufacturers. But they do sell many of the popular open mold framesets on the market now.

tharmor

by tharmor

maxxevv wrote:As far as I know, Hongfu are not manufacturers. But they do sell many of the popular open mold framesets on the market now.

Yes, you're right. I believe that HungFu is a reseller, but DengFu actually builds in-house. So the question becomes, is the DengFu FM166 worth a second look?

Also, Berk - can you read the language of that website? I'm curios to know the wheel build. What are our hub options when building a wheel?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

tharmor wrote:/..
Also, Berk - can you read the language of that website? I'm curios to know the wheel build. What are our hub options when building a wheel?

Sure, I speak also German and it's no problem, but they just "branded" also the hubs with their name. But as I can see it's Novatec (they already made some hubs for road disc 100 / 130 mm). Unfortunately I don't know which rims are these, but as you can see they are some carbon clinchers - in my opinion finally carbon clinchers make sense if you're using disc brakes..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com