36T threaded chainring for Campy SR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadwarrior

by roadwarrior

Just got a new Campy SR crankset 50/34 and found out that the chainring bolts thread directly into the small ring. There is no chainring nut. So much for my plan to use the Campy 36t chainring I already have from my 2 year old record crank. Does anybody make a threaded 36t to fit the SR crank?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Doesn't the new 52-36 Campagnolo crank offer possibilities? It implies that Campy makes a 36T chainring for the newest compact cranks. I don't know what the BCD is though.
Last edited by Sjoerd on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

If you're using the 36t from your record crank, couldn't you also use that crank's bolts and nuts?

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

thisisatest wrote:If you're using the 36t from your record crank, couldn't you also use that crank's bolts and nuts?

this.

you will also notice that if you move your hand away from your keyboard, place them on your shifter and push your thumb leaver, you will shift up a gear. Also, if you go back to the bike shop and tell them that you are not actually the middle aged man you appear to be, but in fact a massively powerful cyclist who goes by the internet username "road warrior", and that you've accidentally purchased a womens specific crankset, they will apologize for their mistake and make an exchange for a standard chainset.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

thisisatest wrote:If you're using the 36t from your record crank, couldn't you also use that crank's bolts and nuts?

Not 100% sure on this, but I think that the holes in the spider may be smaller in the "nutless" versions of these cranksets, making the use of the traditional system impossible without drilling.

Commenting on gearing choices can invoke harsh criticism - so I won't. Except to point out that if one is so inclined, the 50:34 combo permits the use of closer ratio cassettes, with more mid-range choices.

Campy's new 52:36 crankset is a compact - 110mm nominal BCD.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Did you just say "nutless" while referring to compact cranks? And then go on to say you would not comment on someone's gear choice?
Awesome!
I appreciate a little sarcasm once in a while and appreciate Tokyo Drifters humor

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

You'll need to use the chainring bolts (the nut & bolt + hidden bolt) from your Record chainset.
The pre ultra-torque chainring bolts are too big.

savechief

by savechief

I know you're trying to use an existing 36T chainring, but here is my solution to going 50/36 on a Campy crankset with the threaded inner ring:

TA Specialites Nerius 11 36T chainring:
http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/plateau-nerius11.html

TA Specialites UTC3 Chainring Nuts/Bolts:
http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/visserie-utc3.html

The UTC3 bolts are convertible depending on if you have a Campy crankset with or without the threaded inner ring. More reading on the subject here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96114
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

roadwarrior

by roadwarrior

Thanks savechief. That's the info I was looking for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com