How permissible are beam bikes in racing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elviento

by elviento

OK, I know the original Lotus, Zipp 2001/3001, Softtail, Kestrel 4000, etc. are not UCI legal, as they are not the double triangle shape.

However, in practice and on an international level, in what types of races are they possibly permitted?

All amateur road racing?
Only some amateur road racing?
Does mass start and individual TT make a difference?
Triathlons? All amateur triathlons?
Limited types of triathlons?

I am talking about showing up at the startline and being disqualified by the referee. Any thoughts?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I think they are still permissible under ITU races.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

Yep, permissible under ITU rules, which also means they can be used in most ultra races.

You could probably also use one in sportives, as they are not, technically, races.

audiojan

by audiojan

elviento wrote:All amateur road racing?
Only some amateur road racing?
Does mass start and individual TT make a difference?
Triathlons? All amateur triathlons?
Limited types of triathlons?

1. It depends... some amateur races will require the bike to follow UCI rules. You would need to check with your national and local cycling organizations (it may be different at different levels of racing...)
2. See above
3. The rules are commonly different for TT's and mass starts. You may be allowed to use a TT frame as a road bike, but you can't use aero bars, etc. Again, see #1
4. Triathlons are commonly very much open to anything that has a brake... as long as the bike is functional and safe, you're good. The rules are slightly different if you race ITU though (aero bar extensions cannot go past virtual line between front of brake hoods etc.)
5. See #4

In general, beam bikes are good for comfort, and they can be very aerodynamic, but they do tend to be very heavy, and the beam tend to flex if you try to "punch" up a climb and/or accelerate hard etc.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

elviento

by elviento

Thank you. Looks like local referees do have a lot of say on the start line on the race day. Thanks for all your input. I will get in touch with our local organizations. According to the table in the ITU rules regarding what race is draft legal, it will be a bit tricky to figure everything out.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal