Need advice with 1x10 TT setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rickityshaw

by Rickityshaw

Hello all, I wanted to get some advice before purchasing a new cassette. I have a TT bike ('08 Felt B12) with a single 54-tooth Osymetric chainring. I was planning on a 54/44 tooth Osymetric setup, but both chainrings rubbed against my Felt's chainstay, so I took off the 44 tooth and added spacers between the spider and 54 tooth chainring, allowing clearance between the chainring and the chainstay. I usually run a 11-23 for TT's, but I am looking for something with some larger cogs since I won't have a small chainring. Is a 28 tooth the largest I can run with a SRAM Rival RD?
Last edited by Rickityshaw on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

Would you consider trying a WiFli RD? They should give you more clearance. What are the chances you will need those gears though?
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Rival WiFli (longer cage) is intended to allow up to a 32t cog. Depending on your derailleur hanger dimensions, you may be able to pull it off with your standard rear derailleur, but the upper pulley will likely drag on the 32t. I hops you're still running your front derailleur, or something else as a guide.

Rickityshaw

by Rickityshaw

I am planning on doing Tour of the Gila this year, and I've heard there are some big hills during the TT, so I'd want something large on my cassette to compensate for the lack of a small chainring. And yep, I'm running a FD to keep my chain on... hopefully this all works out.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SRAM recently released a RED rear derailleur with a 'medium cage' - goes up to 32t, same length as the Rival 'medium cage' which goes to 32t, only lighter. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Rickityshaw wrote:I am planning on doing Tour of the Gila this year, and I've heard there are some big hills during the TT

As I recall there are some significantly long 7% grades in that.

Any chance you could space your crank over and use two rings?
formerly rruff...

Rickityshaw

by Rickityshaw

WMW wrote:
Rickityshaw wrote:I am planning on doing Tour of the Gila this year, and I've heard there are some big hills during the TT

As I recall there are some significantly long 7% grades in that.

Any chance you could space your crank over and use two rings?

Man, I wish... I have a SRAM Rival GXP crankset, so I cannot add spacers between BB and frame. I would not be opposed to finding a new crankset/BB that would allow spacers though. Any recommendations?

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

If you can find some FSA Carbon Pro arms with a 130bcd spider, you could use a wider BB? This applies to any ISIS/square taper/Octalink?? crankset. If you got a set of double arms and used a triple spaced BB it may work. This is just a wild idea though, not much thought has gone in. It would need verification.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com