Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

maxxevv wrote:That's not possible (or the very least I have not heard of one). Even the chinese/ taiwanese OEM fabricators have them only in 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 .

You could try searching the online for Taiwanese fork makers if they have such a thing. If they don't, then you won't find one as the Chinese won't go into uncharted waters.

I don't want any "no-name", it has to be really good quality. Of course it's no problem if it's made in Taiwan, but it has to be good quality, if you know what I mean..

If I'm right Colnago has 1 1/4 for their disc forks (?) so maybe I'll try to get that fork..will see, but I guess it won't be easy, so that's why I'm searching for some more options.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I believe the C59 Disc uses the 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 steerer as in all their carbon bikes since the EPS was introduced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

I'm not really sure because I can't found an exact information.

If not 1 1/4 then also 1 1/2 would be an option (but then I would need to completely change the design of a frame prototype..and I don't want that). Beside that I also don't like the look of 1 1/2..

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Yes, understand that.

The 1 1/2" lowers are good if its a beefy or a very large frame. Else it just looks weird.

But that seems to the standard now, most of the frame makes come in the that size now. I can't think of any frame makes that utilise the 1 1/4" lowers right now. Maybe the Italians or some of the French ?

As for the 'good quality' part, granted most of the reputable frame makes source their forks from a few select Taiwanese companies, generally, the OEM un-labeled items from them are considered very good quality too in my opinion.

Just saw this:

http://www.3tcycling.com/forks/rigida" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know the 3T distributor in your region, he may be able to get one for you in 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" steerer hopefully ( as it seems to be available in that size )??

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Thanks for those informations, I do know the 3T distributor personaly, at this moment I have an Enve fork that's 1 1/4. But it's not for disc brakes.

There are quite a few bigger companies who use 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 (Cannondale, Wilier, Scott,..) , but not yet any disc fork, at least I didn't found any. I'm in no rush at all, but anyway, searching for it (road disc fork 1 1/8 - 1 1/4), and any information is welcome.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Don't know if they'll sell you just one, but Volagi use a 1 1/8 - 1 3/8" disc fork.

Also, dbikes does them, but not sure what size it is (have the dwg and can check), but a mate tried to get a fork by itself, but wouldn't do it.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've also been searching for a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 disc fork with no luck.

The Parlee road disc frame runs this size, built by Enve (as far as I understand...) but I doubt it's available to buy as an aftermarket fork.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hopefully it will be soon possible, I don't see any good reason why it shouldn't be offered to the public?
I'll just write to Enve, and will see then what will they answer, if they will..

parlee_Z1
in the industry

by parlee_Z1

Parlee is sourcing a 1 1/4 - 1 1/8" tapered disc fork with Enve for 2013. We are not planning on having these available until late Q1 2013 however.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@parlee_Z1
Hi,
thanks for your answer! Hopefully it will be soon possible to get it...

For all those who are interested - I contacted also Colnago, and they also won't sell their 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 tapered fork.
Somehow it's a shame that you can't buy it, although it already exists..so I'm still searching for a 1 1/4 road disc fork, but slowly I'm loosing any hope that it will be possible to get one for 2013 :?

edesigner

by edesigner

I think disc brakes overall are great on a mtn bike.. that said I was coming down a paved trail after a nice dirt ride and a dog jumped out in front of me. Instinct took over and I grabbed some lever and almost put me over the bars. Discs on a grippy surface can be a little scary.

The upside is they remove problems with carbon rims and tire glue (or both in most situations here)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

MichaelB wrote:Don't know if they'll sell you just one, but Volagi use a 1 1/8 - 1 3/8" disc fork.

Also, dbikes does them, but not sure what size it is (have the dwg and can check), but a mate tried to get a fork by itself, but wouldn't do it.

@ Berk,

Have just emailed you the dwg for the fork from dbikes - I think it's a 1 1/2" lower, so isn't what you are after, but it may give you some more info.

Cheers

Michael B

maxxevv

by maxxevv

edesigner wrote:Discs on a grippy surface can be a little scary.

The upside is they remove problems with carbon rims and tire glue (or both in most situations here)

People said the same things when V-brakes debuted over cantilevers ... and then again the same things when disc brakes debuted on MTB's ....
Likewise, if you go back even further ... people would have questioned the 'need' for dual pivot brakes over single pivot ones ...

Its all a matter of getting used to the response and modulation of the system.

It does remove most of the problems of breaking with carbon rims. And will most probably make a real difference in the overall performance of things now that a lot of that rotational mass is moved inwards towards the axle center rather than at the rims. :beerchug:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

@Jure:

I'm really mistaken on the Colnago fork, I always thought it was a 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" fork ! :shock:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

edesigner wrote:/...

And probably carbon clinchers would make sense then.

@MichaelB
Hi, just saw the email, thanks! Every information helps

@maxxevv
It's 1 1/4, and a really nice looking fork, so it's a shame that they won't sell only the fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com