265 gram wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Epic-o

by Epic-o

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Either Reynolds or Edge, I suppose. I really don't see anything else in the ~200g/rim range.

Ciao, ;)

Or LEW and the 25mm Chinese rims

monchito

by monchito

Hi Donald. Awesome and absolute WW wheel :thumbup: :thumbup: Well done¡¡
What about rear wheel, I almost can´t wait to see it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

monchito wrote:Hi Donald. Awesome and absolute WW wheel :thumbup: :thumbup: Well done¡¡
What about rear wheel, I almost can´t wait to see it.

+100% ... :D

donald

by donald

I am not planning to build a rear wheel anytime soon. I have some very light clinchers and that is what I usually ride. After all my bike is 7.7 lbs. with clinchers.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Donald, would you might telling (and showing) us what you do exactly with rims to lighten them? :idea:

I already searched your posts and if I am correct you used the following techniques: shaving material between the spoke holes, shaving material from the braking surface, drilling extra holes between the spokes and drilling extra holes in the tire bed. A 'how to' guide, with tips and trick would be great!

I have a set of Saavedra Turbo rims on route to The Netherlands as we speak and I would love to lighten these a bit.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

+1
I have to say I am amazed that you can build a whole wheel that's lighter than a Stans rim.
I too would like to know how to remove a few grams from a Kinlin rim. I guess it's safe to thin the tube bed a tad and drill holes to fit velo plugs. Or is there a better procedure? If it cracked I guess it would spread and shed the tyre so I guess one should be careful and conservative about it. I wonder how much weight one could safely remove from a 375g Kinlin?

(edit)
A quick calc based on 100 10mm dia holes (5 holes between each existing hole in a 20 hole rim) and 0.8mm bed thickness (guess) gives 17 grams. 100 velo plugs weigh about 20g. :lol: That's obviously not the way to do it. I wonder if Stans yellow tape is much lighter?
r o y g b i v

donald

by donald

I don't have any pics of my work on this rim. The rim started out at 224 grams. I first made the rim 16 holes from 20. I was able, I think, to use 3 of the existing holes. I then used a fine point dremel bit to indent exactly where I was going to drill little holes, and also so the drill bit went exactly wshere I wanted it to go without slipping off to the side. I then drilled about 1/8 " holes, none closer that 1/2" from any of the 16 spoke holes and the drilling was about 1/8" apart each hole, I forget how many there were total between each spoke hole I then used a dremel sanding cylinder to remove material just above those holes not quite reaching the brake track and not near the spoke holes. I then used a palm sander, sanding the entire rim. I then put a little clear coat in each of the drilled holes with a little brush. I then cut strips of carbon fiber veneer and super glued them to cover up the drilled holes. Later I sanded a little more so that the veener blended in with the rim, it came out real good, you can hardly tell it didn't start out as a 16 hole rim.I then sprayed clear coat, the entire rim. There a a few small details I have left out but you get the idea. Please remember I have been modifing mag. and alu. rims for over 20 years.