Really dissapointed about the wheelset I purchased

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I didn't purchase this wheelset from a shop, but I purchased it from a fellow weightweenie member. I bought a Ax-Lightness tubular wheelset, Ax-Lightness Carbon Rims, Tune King Kong Hubs, w/ Tufo XC4 Tires. He said the wheelset weighs 1055gr (without tires). Its the same weight as the wheelset advertised on R2bike. They also list it as 1055gr.

My old wheelset was a Stan Crest rims, American Calssic rear hub, Soul Kosak Front Hub, double butted spokes, Continental Race King Supersonics with Hutchinson Light Tubes. It was only 150 grams (total) less than the wheelset I purchased.

I took pictures of the weight between the new and old wheelset. You will see there is something missing. How can this be?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

The tufo tubular tires weight at least 100g/each more than the Race Kings. They also may have sealant in them which you do not know about.

Nice new wheels. I would ride them a few times first, you will love it even if they would be heavier than the old set! I am amazed by mine I got few weeks ago.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The new wheels will roll a lot nicer than your old wheels, especially if you run proper pressures in them (under 30psi). Double especially since you were running tubes(!) in your NOTUBES rims. :roll:

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I'm old school... Was running tubes.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Get rid of these Tufos and put some nice lighger tubs on it (Dugast/ Geax). Have you ridden them yet?

nrsnow

by nrsnow

victorduraace wrote:Get rid of these Tufos and put some nice lighger tubs on it (Dugast/ Geax). Have you ridden them yet?

I have not ridden them. I'll do some reasearch on the Geax and Dugast. I like the Tufo's bc of the width and tread though.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I mean really, that was the most pointless post ever - my new lighter wheels with tyres weight more than my old ones with totally different tyres.
No shit Sherlock.....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

nrsnow

by nrsnow

TheRookie wrote:I mean really, that was the most pointless post ever - my new lighter wheels with tyres weight more than my old ones with totally different tyres.
No shit Sherlock.....

Hey shithead... The new tires estimated weight is less than my old tire and tube combo. If you have nothing nice to say get the hell out of here!

devinci

by devinci

wow, what about you guys remain polite?

Since this is weight weenies, estimated weights are not something we endorse and/or even know about. I agree you should weight both set without tires, glue, rim strips, tape, valve, etc.

The AX wheels must be pretty light, they are bling and they must roll very well.

artray

by artray

Theres a lot of sh%t on this post :lol:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I foresee the hand of Mod striking down upon this thread.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

If that's the case, thanks for the feedback everyone and happy riding .

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Mod has not struck, but is watching closely!
Lefty heaven

mattyb95

by mattyb95

As devinci said, best bet is to weigh all the individual elements to see where the discrepancy is as it appears claimed weight somewhere isn't adding up. For wheels particularly the claimed weight may not include skewers or rim tape, both of which are most likely needed but manufacturers can argue aren't a fundamental part of the wheel so can claim a lower weight to impress consumers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com