New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

jmilliron wrote:Might be interested if it had a larger, higher resolution screen in the same size package. Plus, a good forward facing camera. At least iPhone quality.

Just strap an iPad to your handlebars.

system787

by system787

Doesn't quite have a forward facing camera, but hey, that ipad will be aero :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

touch screen sounds like a horrible idea with sweaty salty hands in the summer.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The Sony Xperia range , has a few weather resistant phones seems to get around the touch issues in the wet.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/product ... eriaacros/

You could use them as alternative speedometers too as there are a few models that support ANT+, and the newest Wahoo Fitness accessories that run off Bluetooth could work with most smart phones too.

keith

by keith

maxxevv wrote:The Sony Xperia range , has a few weather resistant phones seems to get around the touch issues in the wet.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/product ... eriaacros/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could use them as alternative speedometers too as there are a few models that support ANT+, and the newest Wahoo Fitness accessories that run off Bluetooth could work with most smart phones too.

Battery life on a smart phone running continuously wouldn't be anywhere near as good as any dedicated GPS / Bike computer I'd guess.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

jmilliron wrote:
LVGH wrote:That's interesting, as the official reading is that the 500 and 800 contain the same GPS chipset.

Yeah, the difference between my 500 and 800 is significant when used in less then ideal situations. Maybe there is something wrong with my 500. It's a few years old now.

I tried to use a 500 for a few months and had the same problem. My situation was so bad that if I was in the drops and really low for more than a minute, my head would actually cause the unit to lose satellite connection. I would literally have to pull over and wait for a few minutes to get it back. Never had one issue with the 800 since.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I want to see them incorporate some kind of wifi sync so I would never have to plug my Garmin into my computer :idea:

Guerdi

by Guerdi

I just called the Garmin service center in Switzerland.

Rep told me the new Garmin will be the 810, not the 900. It'll be bluetooth compatible. Apart from that upgrade, no significative change.

Release date : next year. He was unable to tell me when exactly.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

743power wrote:My situation was so bad that if I was in the drops and really low for more than a minute, my head would actually cause the unit to lose

keith

by keith

Guerdi wrote:I just called the Garmin service center in Switzerland.

Rep told me the new Garmin will be the 810, not the 900. It'll be bluetooth compatible. Apart from that upgrade, no significative change.

Release date : next year. He was unable to tell me when exactly.

This could be interesting - means you can suck out your .fit files from the device using a smart-phone (instead of a computer) and send them to Strava immediately after finishing your ride. No waiting to get home :D Could be very useful for me when riding abroad and have chosen not to take a laptop with me...!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markyboy

by markyboy

Any ideal when the release date is next year?early spring or later?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

dgran

by dgran

keith wrote:This could be interesting - means you can suck out your .fit files from the device using a smart-phone (instead of a computer) and send them to Strava immediately after finishing your ride. No waiting to get home :D Could be very useful for me when riding abroad and have chosen not to take a laptop with me...!

This is half the reason I've stuck with using the Strava app on the iPhone. It isn't *that* hard to connect and upload, but I also like keeping the bars clean without a computer display.

keith

by keith

Agree, Strava app works really well, but of course the battery life of any phone isn't good compared to a GPS, etc. But of course it syncs very easily with the Strava server, something a Garmin 800 can't do.

xrs2

by xrs2

Garmin 800 is fine, but I wonder whose dumb idea it was to not have easily swappable batteries. Makes the thing next to useless for >14 hour rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Not an awful lot of people have 14 hour rides. Maybe that is why :beerchug: