New SRM PowerController (if you have everything)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

Just in time for Christmas! Anodised case in festive colours with lazer-etching...
Attachments
New SRM Colours WW Version.jpg
New SRM Custom Case WW Version.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Nice. Not a huge fan of the bold SRM logo on the top but it's a nice housing. Still waiting for GPS though.
Just ride ..

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

How far off is PC8?

I was recommended to get a PC7 for better accuracy...

Geoff

by Geoff

As compared to the PC6, I find the PC7 generally a nicer package. I have heard of data transfer problems with the PC6, but never experienced it myself. The PC7 is really a nice package. I could see it being around awhile.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

This would be a nice option for people trying to match their PC7 to a King BB/Headset/Spacer/Hub combo. Even without a custom etching, the metallic colors of this custom PC clash with anodized parts to a lesser extent than the moulded rubber casings.

As for a PC8, the short-term prospects seem grim. Based on what I've heard, SRM's immediate focus is concentrated on a DA-9000 crankset and a unified version of SRMwin that will run on Macs and PC.

It's also possible that SRM is waiting to see what a Garmin 900 would look like and how quickly Bluetooth Low Energy signal use expands in the bike market. Both of these could have a significant bearing on the feature set of a PC8.

-Tim

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I concur on the PC7. It's a great improvement over the PC6. Apart from adding GPS, as some have stated, I don't see what would be needed to improve on the PC7. Perhaps a licensing deal with Training Peaks to allow them to show NP and TSS on there, but for a pure power measurement monitor, you can't get much better.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Definitely looking forward towards a pc8 and we can all guess as to the cool features they could shove in. All that I know is it's the one power unit I have ever owned where I have had zero issues with it. Straight forward and simple. Not sure I really want more bells and whistles but GPS and some crazy new auto calibration that's fool proof might be all I ever wanted. Wouldn't mind an anodized case though :)
Just ride ..

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

More configurability, the ability to omit and expand certain numbers on a display screen, and better low/no-light visibility would be a good start. During fast efforts when you're riding around dusk or dawn, it can be like trying to play Tetris on Game Boy, circa 1992.

I agree that GPS isn't a training necessity.

-Tim

KWalker

by KWalker

I love my PC7, but would love to see-

-Changeable data fields
-AP or NP on the same screen with current power
-A 4th button because I'm too forgetful to remember the proper codes to get to the menus I regularly use.
-Backlight
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I like my PC7's extended battery life and I'm sure that won't be the case w/ GPS features.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

All I'm hoping for with PC8's, are they will have wired compatibility to replace PCV's.

SRM themselves said it may happen...

http://www.srm.de/gb/srm-blog/technical ... -rosenland

We also think about making our new product downward compatible so PowerControls for the wired systems can be replaced. Our PowerMeters are very long lasting and also customers who already have a wired version should benefit from our innovations

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah, that would be nice. I still prefer the PCIV to the PCV for my wired systems. A PC7 type for wired would be awesome.

KWalker

by KWalker

What would be even better is retrofits to wireless i.e. maybe a shorter sensor cable that is actually an ANT+ transmitter then you don't have to worry about it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

carbon2329

by carbon2329

[quote="Tinea Pedis"]How far off is PC8? [quote]

I went to talked with the owner of my LBS (they are the SRM dealer in the area) recently and was about to order a SRM, but I didn't because he told me to:

"wait, because at Interbike, SRM told him that there were BIG changes that will be shown at 2013 Interbike"

He even told me that if I wanted power that he would find something used and then sell it after 2013 Interbike in anticipation for the the next version.

For what its worth....... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerogurl

by aerogurl

[quote]Downward compatibility for wired units[/quote]

Thinking this through:

-Unlikely that SRM will incorporate the old Binder719 plug from PCIV/V/VI into the new PC8.
-Therefore they will build a new wiring harness with a MicroUSB connection.
-Once there is a universal connecter at the end of the SRM wiring harness, Garmin et al. can incorporate support for wired SRMs

It will be strange to spend twice as much on the headunit than one spends on the cranks (used wired SRMs are cheap).