Purpose built aero Milani N107 Carbon- new pics 12/12/12

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dbow

by dbow

I'm building this bike specifically for altathlons, which are long bike/run/mountain-climbing solo speed attempts and setting records in altitude, distance, and elevation gain or loss. If you're curious, here's a video of altathlon training: http://www.donbowie.com/new-video-my-idea-of-a-hard-training-day/

The purpose of the build is for aero on the long hauls (no drafting is allowed) and light weight for the long climbs- plus a little comfort for distance (often +120 miles). Feel free to chime in with comments or suggestions- always looking for more performance and reasonable weight reduction. (hopefully constructive)

Here's my current build at 6.94kgs:

Frame: Milani N107 Carbon Ultra frame size XL
Wheels: American Classic Carbon 58 Wheels (race only)
Levers: SRAM Red
Derailleur/Shifter: SRAM Red
Bar: 3T Zefiro LTD Aero
Stem: Easton EA90
Crankset: Lightning SL x 172.5
Chainring: Praxis Clover 53/39
Chain: KMC X10SL DLC
Cassette: KCNC Ti 12-27
Brakes: KCNC C7
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Ti
Headset: Cane Creek IS
Saddle: Cobb Cycling V-Flow (I ride the rivet in aero, suggestions?)
Seat Post: Milani Aero carbon
Cages: Arundel Mandible

Considerations:
1) I think I need slightly more reach, so I'm considering swapping the 110 Easton EA90 stem for a 120 Extralite UL3 - anyone use this stem? I don't want flex during my climbs.
2) This model Milani is a bit noodly up front- in part I think due to the extreme narrow tube construction combined with a fairly tall headtube. I'm wondering if an ENVE 1.0 or 2.0 fork might tighten up the flex. This is no crit bike, and I'm not charging super-tight downhill corners (er, well sometimes) but a little less flex might be good. Perhaps I need to learn a little more about trail, too. (plus, I'm coming off a super-agile BMC Race Machine, so the difference is noticeable.)
3) Hawk Racing has some great looking hubs and their bearing story is convincing. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Hawk Racing bottom brackets and/or hubs?
4) Vanity question: Wheel decals/logos or no?

Lastly, I'm not slamming my stem. This is an endurance bike. I like my back the way it is.

Thanks for checking out my build.
Don
Last edited by dbow on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

:welcome: I've never seen one of these before but I like it :thumbup:
dbow wrote:4) Vanity question: Wheel decals/logos or no?

I like the decals, IMO they stay

dbow wrote:Lastly, I'm not slamming my stem. This is an endurance bike. I like my back the way it is.

I wouldn't discount it yet, if this is a proven position for you and its comfortable, keep it... But I say why not go a little lower every month or so? I don't mean to sound like a bike fitter, but you've already got what looks like a decent saddle drop so a slammed stem might be a bit extreme...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So the BMC didn't cut it for you, Mr. Bowie?

Looks like a nice build. Best of luck out there!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

MagnusH

by MagnusH

Do you happen to know the weight of the Zefiro bars? (without the Pi-wing and clamps)

Juggler

by Juggler

dbow wrote:4) Vanity question: Wheel decals/logos or no?

IMO there is too much "going on" when you look at the bike... loose the decals. If you regret you can always have some custom made... and maybe have them a little more toned down (e.g. grey/black instead of red/black).

Nice build anyway... and the altathlon concept is cool :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I'd lose those decals, definitely. Those wheels are superb though - same as Zipp 404s just with nicer hubs. I rode a pair of those for ages and really loved them.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have no problem with the height of the bars. Being a guy that has developed arthritis in his back I have had to adopt a higher position if I want to ride. That being said, I still want the most aero and light bike I can ride. So if this is an endurance bike then a little bit higher front end will work.

The only thing that I would suggest is to try and clean up the front end. Maybe some I-Link Mini shifter cables and some I-link brake cables. You could bend them behind the bars and make it look so much cleaner. Also the rear derailleur loop can be a fair bit smaller.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

dbow

by dbow

prendrefeu wrote:So the BMC didn't cut it for you, Mr. Bowie?

Looks like a nice build. Best of luck out there!

Thanks. I like the BMC a lot, but the frame was too small for me. Putting it up for sale.

dbow

by dbow

MagnusH wrote:Do you happen to know the weight of the Zefiro bars? (without the Pi-wing and clamps)

I weighed mine at 255 grams sans wing and hardware. The wing is easily removed. The thing looks pretty fugly but has great position and is reasonably comfy.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Bad ass vid and nice looking machine Don.

Do like!

Although...I won't lie. When I saw your user name I thought Dwayne Bowe had joined WW. Don't think we have a past or present NFL player on here :lol:

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Peel those wheels...

dbow

by dbow

BmanX wrote:I have no problem with the height of the bars. Being a guy that has developed arthritis in his back I have had to adopt a higher position if I want to ride. That being said, I still want the most aero and light bike I can ride. So if this is an endurance bike then a little bit higher front end will work.

The only thing that I would suggest is to try and clean up the front end. Maybe some I-Link Mini shifter cables and some I-link brake cables. You could bend them behind the bars and make it look so much cleaner. Also the rear derailleur loop can be a fair bit smaller.

Great suggestion- thanks. I checked out the I-link cables and if they will route through the Zefiro bar they seem like a great option.

BmanX

by BmanX

Here is what my front end looks like. Wait to you see what else I am adding to the front end. Should be more aero than anything currently available.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mfcycling

by mfcycling

I would also drop the wheel decals, it will add alot to the over look

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

BmanX wrote:Also the rear derailleur loop can be a fair bit smaller.

Not if you actually want SRAM Red to work properly it can't.

Can I just congratulate the OP on his reluctance to slam his stem! More people should ignore the urge to do this - especially not before having a proper bike fitting.