Fulcrum USB Ceramic Racing Zero hub break in period

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

saxon

by saxon

Hi

This is my first post on any bike forum I have built up my BMC SLR01 frame see pic. Weight was 7.5kilo with carbon bottle cages and Garmin GPS mount. Not a weight weenie but Ill get there some day.

As you can see I have a set of Fulcrum Zero on my bike bought new from a dealer, Ive got around 700ks on them and i noticed after the very first ride the there was some play in both front and rear when I spun the wheels on a stand with my hand. So i nipped both of them up taking out the slight play.

I did notice a rough type feeling when spinning both hubs in my hand like things were not exactly smooth. I did some reading on it and found afew different posts in relation to break in periods and the USB ceramic hubs will get smoother with time?

I was wondering if anybody could be a bit more specific, let me know if this feeling is normal, how many k's in a break in period, or if this is the case, or should I clean the hubs and repack them??

I am posting because I also have a low mid set of Bontragers on another bike and they a very smooth when performing the same test no rough feeling at all (never actually noticed it) on these hubs. They roll faster on the downhill as well (I know that could have something to do with the weight of the rim etc but I thought it was work mentioning).

Cheers :beerchug:

"Enough of this Sunday stroll. Let's hurt a little." ~ Muzzin, American Flyers
Attachments
015.JPG

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Aren't Fulcrum/Campy hubs cup and cone? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they are low on grease. IIRC, there should be a "grease injector" on the hub. Not sure about this so I'd wait for conformation before taking the bearings apart... Oh and nice bike BTW, get it in the gallery with a full build list and weight
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saxon

by saxon

Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I wont take anything apart just yet as recommended. I agree re the cup and cone I think it is as far as I can see.

On one hand I feel a little disappointed with the rough feeling in the hubs and having a cheaper set (bontrager RL) roll smoother and faster, however on the other hand, I hope I am onto something with a run in period for ceramic USB bearings!!

I ride alot of hilly areas to get to any flat stuff, like to start from home so I force myself to do hills. This is where I noticed speed differences on the downhills.

Anyway not to waffle on as per the rules, I hope someone has had similar experience and can give me the:

1. Dont stress stick with it answer; or
2. strip, clean and relube hub now answer; or

Regards to all, Merry festive season. Cheers :beerchug:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've just done a quick search for this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This seems to indicate that you might have issues with the bearing pre-load. I'd say check that first.

I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in about this, but it appears as though this is not an issue: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/greasing-fulcrum-racing-zero-bearings-277728.html

I'm going to play it safe and say leave it, or check with your local Fulcrum dealer
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

DaveS

by DaveS

Roughness when turning the axle with you fingers can be an indicator of the bearing being set too tight.

The best way to check the bearing play is with the wheels mounted on the bike. Try to wiggle the rim from side to side, near the brake calipers. It's fairly easy to distinguish free-play. If in doubt, you can deliberately loosen the bearing adjustment, and start over. That usually requires removing the wheel to tap on the axle. Just loosening the adjuster won't do it. Retighten slowy, so you don't overtighten.

saxon

by saxon

OK so i backed of the preload and gave to none drive side a tap with a plastic hammer,nipped it back up so there was no end play mounted in the frame. It still seems notchy to feel!! Same as before!

This notchy feeling I can feel when I spin it in my hand, it is not noticeable when the bike is mounted in a carbon frame.

When I originally got the wheels after the first short ride I noticed end play when spinning in the frame, so I just nipped front and rear up enough to no notice end play anymore. I am very careful and I did notice the notchy feeling at this point.

I am going to pull the hubs apart carefully and check for grease.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I did notice a rough type feeling when spinning both hubs in my hand like things were not exactly smooth.

If these are brandnew wheels it would not surprise me at all if they'd be be packed to the nook with grease.
This is just one of those "better safe than sorry" precautions from the factory. Most of the grease will be pumped out of the way just by riding the wheels and that will be the only kind of break in these bearings will ever need.

If the bearings really feel notchy then it's most likely the bearings are just too tight. Follow DaveS' instructions keeping in mind that whenever the locking device is being tightened you also add a small degree of extra tightening to the bearings themselves. So back off a bit (a mm is ample) before fully locking it.
In any case you'll do much less harm running the bearings with some play present than by overtightening them.

One other scenario is that when the cone(s) that fit over the bearing' axle isn't fully seated. This would then make you think the bearings are set up correctly but in reality they're not. The cones will end up finding their position on the axle's stops after a ride or two. So you'll then notice some play on the bearings which will need a bit of tightening. This more often occurs on a rear wheel.

Either way this seems to be typical of new Campa/Fulcrum wheels since a couple of years. There's just so much grease in the hubs that there's no way of telling whether they're set up correctly or not.
Just turning the axle by hand alone makes you wonder how many Watts you'll be wasting spinning them like that....
The difference between that and a judiciously set up set is simply staggering.

BTW, should you be servicing them yourself I'd advise to replace the Campa grease (good as it is) by Dupont's Krytox grease.
Just put a little bit on the ceramic balls after you've fully cleaned the bearings and you'll be surprised how smoothly they'll run.
Campa's USB bearings running in a ton of grease is just absurd IMO.
Keep in mind as well that no matter what you do you'll inevitably end up with (I exaggerate) ten times as much drag on the rear wheel than on the front wheel due to the two bearings present in the freewheel. (And yes, that too is filled with grease)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

saxon

by saxon

Thanks very much all concerned.

I gently took apart both front and rear and yes there was alot of grease. I put them back together as is, because all looked clean and I have no replacement grease at home ATM.

I then got rid of the excess grease ensuring that there is sufficient though till I do the clean and re lube properly. Then very carefully adjusted the preload in the frame both front and rear. Just took out the radial play pulled of very slight tap with plastic hammer and then back in frame to check play still none. So everything must be seated properly as per advice I only adjusted to take out any play.

Spun them in my hand and it feels slight improvement on the notchy feeling. Going for a ride now and will check again when I get home.

Really appreciate the advice from all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com