Building my own wooden disc wheel: what hub/axle to use?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hi guys,

As you probably know I am a big fan of wood and the use of it for bicycles. Although I finished my Renovo wooden bike project recently, I thought it would be cool to build a wooden disc wheel for it too. One that I can also use for my new vintage time trial bike (more info on that one still to come).

My father builds wooden furniture for a living, so I have access to wood an the right tools. All I need now is an axle assembly. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I know Corima sells a track conversion kit for their disc wheels, so I have already e-mailed the distributor if they are willing to sell me an axle assembly for a road disc wheel. Older MAVIC 3G and ZIPP disc wheels also had interchangeable axles, so I also e-mailed the MAVIC and ZIPP distributors. No luck on Ebay so far.

Does anybody know of another option?

---

Here are some nice examples of other wooden rear wheels:

Dalai

by Dalai

SWijland wrote:Here are some nice examples of other wooden rear wheels:

These last wheels are not wood. They are Russian/Ukranian hollow discs made with tensioned kevlar sheets and Titanium axles...

My Fluidisks - also found under the names СУЦИКЛ 3 and 666.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Those Fluidisk wheels look really nice. I thought they were made from flax fibers?..

mfcycling

by mfcycling

Although the Russian discs are becoming increasingly rarer, I will never forget racing against them, they had a really unique sound

Dalai

by Dalai

SWijland wrote:Those Fluidisk wheels look really nice. I thought they were made from flax fibers?..

To be honest - although I own a set, I really don't know much about the Fluidisks at all! Very little information on the web when I've gone searching for more details. My set is at least third hand...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latman

by latman

The russian resin they were made with probably offers no UV resistance and they were a lot yellower when new , as time passed the Kevlar browns A LOT , its the most UV suceptible fibre, It would be very interesting to see the colour under the logos (whether stickers or painted on)

incidentally the campagnolo Ghibli is also kevlar (woven cloth) and the white colour is a sheet of bonded on plastic film (I only ever looked in the old white with blue logo) , (I have an old Khamsin disc and its fine glass fibre/~ 3mm foam)