S-Works Venge Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Chainsnapper

by Chainsnapper

Just wanted to say hello and share a photo of my new build. Have been stalking these forums for a bit. I'm no weight weenie as such, but have found plenty of decent general advice and info... so thanks.

As for the new machine - Yes, yet another project black Venge. I am not as imaginative as some, I'm afraid.

I have spent most of my time previously on Al and Ti frames, but I finally gathered the confidence in modern carbon components to put together a carbon build. This was assembled slowly over a couple of months by myself (with some assistance in fitting the BB).

Spent 5 hours on it on yesterday and enjoyed every single minute. Well balanced, stiff, accelerates very well.

Frame: S-Works 2012 Venge (Project Black)
Wheels: Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubular
Groupset: Dura Ace 7900 crank, chain, cassette / Utegra 6770 Di2 derailleurs, shifters, electronics
Brakes: Dura Ace 7900
Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo Evo HT (Veloflex Roubaix Arenberg 25mm on standby as the next set).
Bar/stem: Zipp Service Course SL (short & shallow / 120mm @ -6 deg)
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Track Specials / long spindles
Saddle: Selle Italia Shiver (temporary)

Please excuse the faux pas of the bar-end mirror. I have found over time that for the sake of a few extra grams, it helps me maintain a situational awareness whilst holding my position, line, cadence, etc, when training on the public roads. Hey, at least it's Italian! Also, the cage is on the seat tube as opposed to the downtube as I like to sling the bike over my shoulder.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Wow that's freaking nice!

And I don't mind the bar end mirror either.
I think you'll get flamed here over the bar end mirror. Just ignore them.

hillrider

by hillrider

Very, very nice!! Enjoy.

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice, looks simple and fast.

Bar end mirror...Well, OK if it helps you to keep safe then fair enough.

But slinging your bike over your shoulder??? Do you live up a steep flight of stairs? Personally I'd compromise on bike carryability as I'd spend 2 minutes climbing and 5 hours on the bike.

Chainsnapper

by Chainsnapper

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Yes, I sling the bike when leaving / entering my house and also at times when dismounting which leaves my left arm free to deal with manual tasks (secure gates, deflect attacks from aggressive motorists, etc). The bike lives in the lounge room and I have to negotiate a number of obstacles to get it there.

There is a second bidon which will go on as required for longer rides.

I will post some images and a rough DIY guide to hacking apart the Di2 battery and jamming into the seatpost as well if anyone is interested.

Reamens

by Reamens

TH - :O

Bike really impressive.
Perfect. Black.

HOCHPROFIL

by HOCHPROFIL

not the best frame choice for a basketballer......nice built, but in this size : :frightened:

Chainsnapper

by Chainsnapper

Hi, thanks for the input. Are you talking purely geometry or just aesthetics?
If you are talking about aesthetics, then yes I would agree that the proportions may look a bit unusual (I will spare you the horrors of my custom track frame!). I am not a basketball player by the way ;)

In terms of geometry - for me it is perfect. It feels great and handles nicely.

The saddle has come down and forward a few mils since the photos as I am still making minor adjustments. I am also looking at saddle options of course.

Cheers

HOCHPROFIL

by HOCHPROFIL

just only the aesthetic point of view...i am 6.4 and have a XL/58 Speci SL3 and this in my eyes the absolute max frame size for us tall guys.

Is yours a 61/XXL ?

Chainsnapper wrote:
HOCHPROFIL wrote:not the best frame choice for a basketballer......nice built, but in this size : :frightened:

Hi, thanks for the input. Are you talking purely geometry or just aesthetics?
If you are talking about aesthetics, then yes I would agree that the proportions may look a bit unusual (I will spare you the horrors of my custom track frame!). I am not a basketball player by the way ;)

In terms of geometry - for me it is perfect. It feels great and handles nicely.

The saddle has come down and forward a few mils since the photos as I am still making minor adjustments. I am also looking at saddle options of course.

Cheers

manne

by manne

Great build, and hella big!

Chainsnapper

by Chainsnapper

HOCHPROFIL wrote:just only the aesthetic point of view...i am 6.4 and have a XL/58 Speci SL3 and this in my eyes the absolute max frame size for us tall guys.

Is yours a 61/XXL ?

It's a 60/61 - Quite long in the top tube - although doesn't appear so in the photos. You may find that it will look more proportionate with a proper saddle and final adjustments.

I have tested and considered the SL-4 which was superb, but in the end I was able to get this frame in my size for cost price through a team account. If money were no issue and I had the option, I would probably still go with the Venge only due to my preferences in a frame. The Tarmac felt more refined and 'complete' whereas the Venge is difficult to describe - 'fast' is all that comes to mind; (possibly 'brutal')? I am not really a true roadie so probably not qualified to offer much of an objective comparison anyway.

GZA

by GZA

Stunning devotion to Black/White :) Love it

mrslnd

by mrslnd

HOCHPROFIL wrote:not the best frame choice for a basketballer......nice built, but in this size : :frightened:

Being 6'6" it looks normal to me. I have an SL4 in the same size. Considering a Venge as well. I keep staring at the build to determine if there is room in my garage for one.

Is it a stiff ride? The post doesn't allow for much flex.

Chainsnapper

by Chainsnapper

Very stiff. Even surpassed my expectations as I don't buy into hype, so was expecting a bit of flex.... but there is none in the frame...zero. It is supreme. The seatpost is amazing, given how much of it is exposed.

In fact, the only flex that I find noticeable is from the wheels and the crank. Wheels are nice, but not as stiff as I had hoped. Yes, I realise that I could have considered a custom build but I expected that the firecrest would be ok given it's claimed capabilities. Again, decent performance, good handling in the wind and very quick, particularly when descending, but quite flexy when out of the saddle. I even get slight brake rub when pushing a big gear from the saddle. They are true, preloaded, tensioned, etc, and really a great wheelset - but I may end up going back to Wheelbuilder's extortionate (but quality) service I suppose (or simply throw one of my Open Pro sets on).

Likewise with the DA crank which is great - but I can notice some flex. It's probably in the arms but doesn't bother me much and I have learned to accept it (very glad I skipped on the S-works OSBB crank).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Holy headtube, Batman! :unbelievable:

Where's the battery?
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli