ENVE CLINCHER problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lewtargett

by lewtargett

Yes that's right.
Made by Xentis in Austria.
As I understand there were financial issues and I think they are now owned by Tune.
Great wheels, and the Tune hubs really nice of course.
I've stil got the 42 mm wheels but they get love and care.
As you say the more expensive wheels are great but it's a pain as they are usually non-repairable and in the case of the Lightweights have to be shipped back to Germany, not an overnight service.
Lew

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

I rode La Marmotte last year with 404 carbon clinchers. No problems at all with overheating. Big crowds on the descents and I was pretty much on the brakes the whole way.

lewtargett

by lewtargett

Hi,
I was there this year (2012), not too hot though which was nice.. it's a big day out.
Zipp say they haven't had any claims with their wheels.
It's more a generic issue because of the nature of carbon clincher construction techniques, they are getting better though.
Unfortunately disc brakes on road bikes, eg new Colnago will negate all this effort. Probably the future IMHO.
Lew

drewb

by drewb

I guess that no wheels - Zipp 404 Firecrest included - are perfect. I had a horrible time with a set that would not keep spokes in 1 piece and here is a review from a pretty well respected blogger / journalist that had all sorts of problems with the wheels - including shedding tires on big descents. His review update / endorsement retraction is about 7/8 of the way down the comment section.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/02/z ... er-review/

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

I haven't yet seen a ENVE SES 3.4 failure from braking heat, here or on any other forums. Can you confirm the model, and get a pic?

tigoose

by tigoose

hi lawfirm,
yes as soon as i can confirm the model i'll post it up. btw, i understand my friend is picking up a warranty wheel today so hopefully it won't repeat what the last wheel did.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

It's been we'll over a week and you still can't confirm what model it is? Doesn't he have email? I'm willing to bet that its the older model.

tigoose

by tigoose

all i can tell you is they are the 3.4 model with a 23mm width. apologies for late reply but thats all i can get from him.

jb

by jb

The 3.4 do not have a 23 width.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

:goodpost: :smartass: :lol:

I've been toying with the idea of buying either the 3.4 SES or the 303 firecrests for a few months now, unfortunatley i don't have the option for both pairs, i currently run r-sys sl's and some basic roval sl45's which are nice enough.

I'm still awaiting some form of an update after THREE pages we're still not there...

Confirm SES or original ENVE wheels

Update on where the warranty side of things is going

That would be MOST helpful. Cheers! :beerchug:

tigoose

by tigoose

well if they aren't 3.4 i dunno what they are. i can confirm they are 23mm wide as i have seen them but the model type i'm unsure of.
I'm asking my friend who isn't a technical wizz on the subject so i'm passing on what i get told.
as for "the update" as i posted 2 or 3 posts ago he was picking up his warranty replacement today as he mentioned to me. so it sounds like Enve have excellent customer service.
i am yet to hear from him since/if he picked them up.

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

Stop being so vague and get a photo or a confirmation.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

Yes, did you not manage to take a photo of the deformation of the braking track? can you not post that picture?

Good news about the warranty replacement side of things!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

tigoose, we'd like some more information please.

Otherwise this thread is starting to go down the line of others and will be locked - otherwise all we have it filled with are (potentially damaging) assumption.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tigoose

by tigoose

Guys, totally understand. Sorry but i don't have pictures as i wasn't there and haven't seen my friend since. All i can say is enve and lbs came good on warranty.
My friend isn't up to speed on tech info so I've only been able to pass on info. I need to say when i said the rims were 23mm wide i now need to clarify that they were of the new wider rim technology. 3.4 rim technology appears to fall in to the wide rim technology as stated on their site so i am sticking with what he said that they are the 3.4 model as they are all black with black enve deals and appear to have the rim depth of around the 40mm that is also stated on the site.
Once again apologies for being vague and lacking info but i can only pass on what i'm told. I haven't seen my friend in a while, his bike included. He is not a tech head so info isn't great.
Regards