What would be a full carbon tubular upgrade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Hi, I currently have a 2011 c dale Supersix himod. It's 15 lbs 6 oz.

I'd like to keep getting it lighter.

I have a couple year old set of American classic sprint 350's
They should way between 1390 and 1410.

What would be a good set of tubs for my first race season?

I weigh 160 even

I like climbing best and want that to be my specialty, although I will do a lot of flats and rolling hills too.

I would like to ride them not just for races, but whenever I'm feeling sexy, so would like them built to last but super light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Budget?

Off the top of my head from the "factory pre-built" for the masses category:
Zipp 202s or 303s
Easton EC90 SLX
Reynolds 46
Enve Smart 3.4

You could go custom as well, although there are fewer rim choices if you are looking for carbon

civdic

by civdic

I've got a pair of Enve 25's. Super light but tough. I've had them for a couple of months. They are built on the DT 240S hub which is now 11 speed. Enve included a 1.8 spacer so I can run 10 speed. I'm heavier than you and have not had any issues. I've hit the same pothole twice and my city is filled with rough roads and lots of hills. I love them. Come in around 1050 g.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Budget 3000.

I figure if I really want something more than that, like the lightweight brand I could look for it used.

What about building the enve 25's with dt190 ceramic? Would that put them under 1000g?

I saw a wheel set that spuds good, although I can't find we're they are for sale or any more information, plus it sounds like more of a mt bike company, but tune skyline?

civdic

by civdic

Go with Alchemy hubs. Get the new Alchemy rear hub. 20/24 combo with Sapim cx-ray spokes and you should be around 950-980g.

c50jim

by c50jim

If you're planning to race in sanctioned events, be careful about getting the weight under 6.8 kilos since you might be weighed. We don't weigh much where I live and commissaire, but we always weigh at hillclimbs.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

So they do weigh some at the sanctioned races here in the us, even cat 5?

c50jim

by c50jim

I don't know what your local practice is but our organizers post "tech guides" on their site that say whether there will be weigh ins,, measurements for TT bikes, etc. check your races and see what they say.

CBRE

by CBRE

Can't go wrong with the Boyd carbon tubulars for the price, take the money saved toward good parts such as Veloflex extremes and a light quality cassette. Like a Xg1090.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

If you want an all round set, I would suggest not going for 25mm rim depth wheels.

My ideal all round set is 38mmF/50mmR, 50mm/50mm or 50mmF/60mmR.

Wheels are so damn light these days that what you lose in weight is not nearly as significant as what you gain in aerodynamics. 38mm is a great compromise and with the new rim profiles (firecrest, for example) the handling is significantly improving.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

tommasini

by tommasini

Northoceanbeach wrote:Hi, I currently have a 2011 c dale Supersix himod. It's 15 lbs 6 oz.

I'd like to keep getting it lighter.

I have a couple year old set of American classic sprint 350's
They should way between 1390 and 1410.

What would be a good set of tubs for my first race season?

I weigh 160 even

I like climbing best and want that to be my specialty, although I will do a lot of flats and rolling hills too.

I would like to ride them not just for races, but whenever I'm feeling sexy, so would like them built to last but super light.

For racing you need durable - no one calls out a huge pothole in a race - you just hit it hard and hope for the best. To race you also should have something that you can afford to write off and replace in case of a crash.....and also then some remaining consideration of light and aero. Lightweights (durable rims but a pedal in the spokes and bye, bye) don't fit the replace easily bill and unless the $$$$$ don't cause you to blink an eye.....used ones won't have a crash replacement program option either. Considering the wheelset you have now, I'd suggest you head to a dealer who can offer a test ride on some 50's deep carbon tubbies.....then after a good eye opening ride you'll easily decide do you want ultra light low profile or light enough and aero "feeling very sexy" 50's carbon tubbies.

Cheers! :beerchug:
Last edited by tommasini on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

tommasini

by tommasini

Sorry - double post

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

There is definitely some great advice on here. I do appreciate it.

I saw someone selling used Reynolds 46ul. Those sound like they may fit the description I'm getting.

So the aeros really are making a difference these days? The only aeros I've used, and I'm not sure they even qualify was 10 years ago my first road bike had cxp22 s, but I was so new I couldn't tell a difference, I was young and they were what I had

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I alsdont have the money to replace a lightweight, if I got them it would be a treat

tommasini

by tommasini

Added comments.......you can get all sorts of advice on the internet......but everyone has different "needs"......my remark is that 50's carbon tubbies are addicting........for most conditions you'll realize it's an advantage over your stable of wheels so you will lust after what they offer and pick them for nearly all your rides......but in the end you need to experiance the feel of the wheels and decide for yourself - so please take some test rides. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com