Problems with Q-Ring / Look 695 combo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazman

by chazman

Anyone had problems running the Rotor Q-Rings on a Look 695? The LBS guy that is putting together my bike says the small chainring is unusually thin, which Rotor compensated by increasing the spacer between the chainrings by 0.5mm, which then causes shifting problems going from ring to ring... baloney? I have the 110 compact version of the Q-Rings.

Sparks

by Sparks

chazman wrote:Anyone had problems running the Rotor Q-Rings on a Look 695? The LBS guy that is putting together my bike says the small chainring is unusually thin, which Rotor compensated by increasing the spacer between the chainrings by 0.5mm, which then causes shifting problems going from ring to ring... baloney? I have the 110 compact version of the Q-Rings.

Has anyone got any experience with this as I am thinking of trying Q-rings on mine?
2013 Pinarello Dogma 65.1
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

That's all BS... I have a Look 596Tri (which is also using the Zed crank) and have been using 50/36 Q-rings as well as 52/38 Q-rings for a couple of seasons now. Shifts perfect (or at least as perfect as you can get with Q-rings... it's slightly slower upshift by nature of the oval rings, but other than that, perfect)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

I'm having the same issue and this is Look's response. If you have a first generation Look the FD hanger carbon is too soft and is flexing underload. You will need to have a dealer drill out the old and replace it with a new hanger that Look will supply you with. Contact them to get on the waiting list. They are currently out of stock until later in the month. I'll try to remember to post back the results after i get it installed.

---------
We’re sorry you have experienced trouble. Yes, the aluminum hanger should resolve this issue. Indeed there is a 2nd generation carbon hanger (on most 2012 695 frames), but the aluminum is better and is now standard on all 695’s being produced. Westwood Cycle has done installations of these aluminum hangers for us and I would recommend you have them do this work. The only problem is that I do not currently have any of these aluminum hanger kits in stock. We should be receiving some within a few weeks, though.