Ciamillo carbon crank now with pre-launch offer information!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

One possible scenario I can think of is that they are using prefabricated tubes to create the hole inside the arm. Note that not too long ago, all carbon arms had a core of something, usually foam. So if these tubes are the inner mold, and the end result is a nearly homogenous carbon unit with aluminum ends, the tubes would be contributing to the stiffness, and provide a few areas of mechanical keying on each end. Just a thought.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

passbagger

by passbagger

That is one bad-ass looking crank! I'm not concerned about aero so I don't want those tubes covered with weight; that's what makes it bad-ass. On the bonding issue, I agree with biketart; we don't know how those tubes are attached or bonded, but one look at that design makes me think Ted has thought about that. I'm not an engineer, but it appears obvious that the force on the aluminum end will be beyond significant. In most cases, this would be a solid piece, so if there is going to be a point of interconnectivity here, it better hold. I'm betting, literally, that Ted's thought of that. I have a pre order in and now that I see it, I'm thrilled, as long as it's as good as he says it is. As to why he hasn't chimed in other than the other day, it better be because he's working 24-7 to get those cranks done. I am also hoping he says something about this soon because the curiosity is killing me (well, it's really just making me itch).

The first time I dealt with Ted was in 2006 with Ti Zero G's and I have added a few over time, including a new set of Gravitas SL's. Every time I have a question or need something, he answers the phone. When I had an issue, he was all over it. I don't know many other companies, other than frame builders, where the owner will talk to you directly in this industry when you are only buying one of whatever they sell (if you do, please share). So I'm taking a chance that this crank will crank because, as far as I know he hasn't had a product failure before and if this ends up being the first one, he would fix it. If I'm wrong, you'll hear about it in a much longer post.

And if you're reading this Ted, Get My Crank Done and then enlighten us if you wouldn't mind.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I probably wont buy one, but I love the passion and thinking outside the box on this one.

REALLY interested to see the blog hen it goes up !! :beerchug:

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is rider\load weight limits? On a 'few' WW cranks there is a weight limit. I wonder if there will be on these??

p.s i have my order in and am around 140Kg at the mo... :lol:

Lig.

elviento

by elviento

cranks are probably one of those places where weight is not the issue but the power output and riding style. If anything it should be overbuilt to an extent to handle the rigors of a powerful sprinter.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

runner999

by runner999

Ted, with all due respect to the speculators in this forum, email the blog link to the paying customer’s first and not cast pearls before swine. This thread is showing the potential to get a little ridiculous.

1spd

by 1spd

There are a lot of cranks on the market that I would love to have. The downside is that I have an older frame with a standard BB so of course most of these lighter cranks simply wont work. Hollow Grams have been at the top of my list for a while now for instance and I lived the old Vuma's. For now, I'm just sticking with my Campy's since they work (would be nice if they were lighter but for crying out loud, I'm riding a steel frame!)

None the less, I'm still excited to see the finished product. I do wish that some of these lighter cranks were produced with a stadard bb in mind (I know that is not the trend right now but dang!)
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On the bonding issue I have campag carbon cranks and the pedal inserts are bonded in. These don't fail all the time. Also alloy crowns and steerers are common on carbon forks and they survive quite well. So there is a work around and the Ted may have taken this into consideration in the design. Unless someone is going to section up an $1100 crankset we are not going to know for certain. Assumptions are a dangerous thing.

Also if a problem does develop down the line Ciamillo will not be the first company to have to redesign. It happens to the big companies to after all there is only so much product testing that can be done.

454g that is light.

Lig

by Lig

Hi 1spd,

For info these will work with standard BBs. Just like the Zipp Vumas did. In fact i am planning to use my Zipp cups for these cranks.

The BB30 element is just that the cranks have 30mm diameter axles. So you may need a shorter cable retainer bolt (if your frame has one) to clear the axle inside the BB shell.

Cheers,
Lig.

lewolive

by lewolive

Hello,

Let me introduce you to the forum.

I'm responsible for http://velo-perso.com which is the main European distributor of Ciamillo products.

This year I've been spending 3 weeks at the Ciamillo shop in order to work with Ted on the new products.

My work has been to bring the knowledge to Ted about the crank market, which is different from the brake market.
As a good level rider, I can anticipate the stiffness levels that we need for a such project.

Ted has incredible skills on machining and designing products with 10-20 years in advance on the market. He has with him the chance to adapt quickly all his products to the market needs and that's why we are hearing carefully all your comments.
This crank should be available first in 24mm/110mm because it's compatible to all framesets of the market.
As a Rotor retailer I can supply the bearings of all frames of the market (except Trek) as soon as Ted is making a BB30 version.

Please note that the spiders will be available in both 110/130, but it's not as of today the biggest difficulty. In fact, Ted has such big machining skills that machining a spider on 2 sides is something very easy for him. It has nothing to do with the work that has been necessary to machine the bottom of the arms.

I'll come back here to send you my opinion on the first rides with the Ciamillo prototype crank. That should happen shortly now !

Thanks

Olivier

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

carbonLORD.com

Lig

by Lig

Hey 'carbonLORD' you cant just tease us with some fancy CAD drawing and no info??? :roll:

Lig.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

The caption for that picture on his Facebook page is:

"Zero Gravity Carbon Crank V2 with Aero Cover option. Taking pre-orders now!"

That's all I can find so far.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Sorry, it was getting late.

I'm sure Ted has been too busy getting the crank in order to respond with more information. From what I know, (which is not much more then anyone else) the green areas in the image highlight where the materials join, but I'll let him explain the details.

I posted the image to illustrate what the Aero Cover will look like once adapted.

More information (and images) to come, stay tuned...
carbonLORD.com

ricerocket

by ricerocket

:popcorn:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com