Dura Ace 7900 C50 versus Campa Bullet 50 Ultra Wheels ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

Hi,

I am looking for some carbon clincher wheels with alu braking surface (I now ride Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's which I love, but I'd like to have a carbon wheel as well for the flat rides here in Holland).

I basically, narrowed my search down to:
Shimano Dura Ace 7900 C50 which I now can buy at around EUR 999.
or
Campagnolo Bullet 50 Ultra Wheels which are around EUR 929.

The weight of the Campa wheel is 1590 grams, which compares to the Shimano's at around 1656 grams (> 60 grams heavier).

(Looks for the Shimano are, IMHO, better)

What would you recommend ? Or does someone has experience with both of them ?

theremery

by theremery

Bullets if you have campag gears and DA if you are on SRAM/Shimano.......isn't it that simple???
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

No, it's not that simple. The Bullet wheels are available for Campagnolo or Shimano. If the OP were a "brands must match" guy, then presumably he would have taken that into account when formulating his choices. So why impose such a view on him when he apparently doesn't have it himself? Isn't it that simple?

mrfish

by mrfish

Both have an outdated V-shaped profile, nice hubs but are a bit heavy. Aesthetics are personal preference - the main difference is that Campg rims are woven carbon, which you might prefer.

Not sure if you can take the stickers off, if not I would definitely go with the original respondent's suggestion to match your gears. If you can remove the stickers it's less of an issue and I would just go with the one you think looks best, or whichever you can get cheapest.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Bullet Ultras because of the lower weight and better hubs if you go for the Cult option.

An alternative would be Fulcrum Red Wind XLR 50. Basically the same wheels as the Bullet with different graphics and rear wheel spoke layout.

sawyer

by sawyer

It will make so little difference that the first respondent's "match your gears" comment is sound advice no matter how much of an aesthetic weenie you are.

Actually that's not quite right as there is one difference that's worth bearing in mind and that's freehub compatibility (both across Shim/SRAM/Campag and 10 and 11 speed)

In this regard Campagnolo are superior. And for brand reasons Fulcrum Red Wind are the best of the three options ... so I'd go with those.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

+1 for Fulcrum

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

you can easily de-sticker the campag bullet ultras, BUT, it will invalidate the warranty (stupid, but true... i checked more than twice with the importer!).

jmilliron

by jmilliron

fivethirtyonepm wrote:you can easily de-sticker the campag bullet ultras, BUT, it will invalidate the warranty (stupid, but true... i checked more than twice with the importer!).

My understanding is that, at least in the US, they still need to honor the warranty as long as it's not related to your modification.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pepijn2010

by Pepijn2010

Thanks. I noted that the fulcrums and campa's are much heavier than claimed ... Don't know about the DA's ...